Hight Res to Low Res help please!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Hight Res to Low Res help please!

Ok iam really mind blown about this process right now and I would be SO SO SO happy if someone can shed some light on this as my deadlines for university are lurking... Before you say search the web i have... Thats why iam here.

Heres the problem Basically i have a highres(20mil) hardsurface mesh in zbrush. I have to bring it down to a low res games character

My questions are from most important to least

1. I dont have any polypaint on my model because i was planning on using 3dsmax materials to give a robot shine, can i still export maps without poly paint? If yes then how?

2. If yes above which maps do i need to capture the detail from high poly to low

3. Am i exporting a retopologised low poly mesh then baking a high poly version on top for detail? If yes what are the maps for?

4. Why cant i just decimate it to a low poly mesh it is still animatable ive tried? Whats the reason to retopologise?

5. Shall i retop each subtool seperately or merge all then retop?

6. If zbrush shows 20,000 polys how much triangles is that?

I just cant get my head around the maps business if someone could shed some light ide be so so so grateful!Please!

12 December 2013
These two ZClassroom videos have some good tips
http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/hom...esson/topology/

1. Bump/displacement maps or normal maps are covered in other Zclassroom videos I believe...

2. See previous point

3. You decide. Depends on what you want to use the model for. If you need a truly low poly model then you need it to be low-poly. Optionally if the game engine or whatever supports normal maps, then it can be a good idea to export these to get all the micro-detail from your 20mill poly model.

4. Usually retopology is done to make the poly-flow better for animating mouth, eyes, any joints. I.e. provide more natural movement when the animator uses it - while at the same time having the minimum of polys (important for real time graphics, responsiveness when animating etc)

5. Split and conquer is often a good idea, but depends on intended use of the object and subtools

6. Polys are polys - 3, 4 or n-gon's are one poly each... If you convert a quad-only object to triangles (or that happens when you import an .obj to some other software) I suppose the number of poly's will double.

With Zbrush watch all the classroom videos - you'll get your head around it then

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread