Methods to improve render performance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by blank000: Any chance you can share your scene. Delete everything, leaving just one of every tree kind and lighting system so we can take a look at materials and render settings.

Since some of the textures, cars models and even trees are from licenced files, I shouldn't be sharing them here , but there is nothing extreme about tree materials. There are evermotion plants from their set 61. These have opacity maps that was necessary for leaves, but I've even turned off all bumps. Rest of the trees don't even have maps. Just models.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by DanGrover: How do you find it compared to Vray RT, if you've much experience with that?

I don't have much experience with Vray (RT) so I can't really comment on that.

But what I really dig about path tracer render engines (like iray) in general is that there is no need for AA filtering at all, no moire patterns, no sampling artifacts etc. Sub pixel details just emerge from the grain gracefully, comparable to real photography. If you take a real picture of a brick wall at 50 meters you don't get any moire patterns either.

Thinks like DOF and MB basically come for free and in general it's quite a fresh way of doing things. It still lacks some production features like render passes, proxies and it could do with a better texture caching but those things will be added (iray 3 already has some of this but it's not in max yet)

SO it's something you have to learn and get a feeling for where it shines and where it doesn't. Lighting a room with a laser beam through a keyhole will take forever to converge but complex IBL outdoor scenes can literately be done in a few minutes. So you do have to plan ahead to really take advantage of it but that goes for any renderer I guess.

05 May 2013
Hi

i think we are looking to much of new features and forget the basics. Here three Examples and all images only with FG, no IBL, no Importons, no etc...

the rendering are very fast, no testing, no crashing, no headache, because i use only technics that works 99%.

http://www.infinity-vision.de/blog/...infinity-vision

05 May 2013
Exteriors aren't that bad, but I've had great difficulty with interiors, like on one scene with ceiling tiles I couldn't get good FG and GI settings, with both in use there would be interpolation of lighting across the certain tiles and nothing would fix it except to use only FG, and I needed GI also. And then the other thing was rendering hair, if you've got a scene that's setup correctly with photometric lighting, you'd want to render the hair in the same scene. MR can't do it

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread