Importing camera from Maya to Bodypaint

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Importing camera from Maya to Bodypaint

Hello everyone...

I am new to c4d and bodypaint. I was trying to export a camera from maya into bodypaint to do some projections. I googled it and found this thread http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...99&page=1&pp=15 i did the part of exporting the .mov from maya but couldn't figure out how to do the bodypaint part. As the thread was pretty old I was wondering.... do we still have to do that way or is there any direct and easy way

09 September 2012
FBX should work I think, or if you're using the latest version of Bodypaint you could use Alembic?

Cheers,
Brian

09 September 2012
hi Brian,

I tried fbx, i went to file menu -> merge and selected the fbx file ( is that how you import a fbx ? ). It showed the camera with the name but it don't have any animation ( I checked in the time line )
while googling i found this.. http://www.sweekim.com/Tut_MatchingCamera1.html
here it says you have to rotate the pivot of the object yr -90 to match it in bodypaint. I tried it but didn't work.
And how to translate the aperture and aspect ratio values of the maya camera to bodypaint.

Any help...

09 September 2012
What version are you using? FBX has been buggy in older versions of C4D/Bodypaint but works pretty well for the most part in the current version.

Edit - just checked to confirm, I animated a simple camera move and did an Export Selected in Maya 2012, opened the resulting FBX in C4D R14 and the animation came in fine. Works too if I merge the file rather than just opening it.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 09 September 2012 at 04:31 PM.

09 September 2012
Hi Brian,

Sorry for the delay in reply..
Yep what you said is right. I am using a very old version. It seems like it dosen't have full fbx support.
I got the projection work done in another software.

Thanks for your time.

09 September 2012
You're welcome. Another option is to get the CD FBX plugin, it's very reasonably priced and I'm pretty sure it will work a few versions back (check on Cactus Dans website). It's more robust in some ways than the native one even in the latest version of Cinema/BP.

Cheers,
Brian

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread