Prime Focus India to Hire Over 450 VFX Staff for 'Sin City 2'

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Prime Focus India to Hire Over 450 VFX Staff for 'Sin City 2'

Quote:
"As a co-investor and exclusive VFX partner on the long-awaited sequel from Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, the company's Mumbai base will handle a major part of the the project. "

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...me-focus-638911
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Interesting model they're using. Pay to get work that will eventually, maybe, also turn a profit, and maybe also more work. Worth keeping an eye into (although from a work standpoint, everything I've heard from Prime Focus are not very nice comments).

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Pay to work? They are co-producing, that's what practically every big VFX shop has been desperately trying to do for years now since fee for service proves more and more murderous every year.
Framestore with Desperaux, D2 with Ender's game, RnH and so on. Everybody is trying or tried and intends to do so again.

It's the only way to go really if you want to make some money. Plain fee for service when you reach a certain size is unsustainable and has ridiculous risk margins.
You are either studio owned, or you need to move to producing if you want to survive as a large firepower player. I can think of only a couple facilities that make exception (MPC and DNeg come to mind, but it's possible they are participating in some production and I wouldn't know).

Old 10 October 2013   #4
It's gonna be interesting to see if they can pull this off. This looks rather big. Their reputation for managing projects is pretty much near the bottom of the vfx shop pile.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Thanks for setting the record straight Jaco. Not the best choice of words from my part.
Besides these kind of partnerships, how many shops actually own IP? I know it's a different scenario. I do remember a few waaaay in the past (+15 years ago), but some went nowhere with it, and some did for a little while, but it doesn't seem like a business model a lot of shops are following today (probably because of the costs of getting IP to generate revenue... seems like a better idea to partner with established, succesful IP).
Just thinking out loud...

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Mic_Ma: It's gonna be interesting to see if they can pull this off. This looks rather big. Their reputation for managing projects is pretty much near the bottom of the vfx shop pile.

I couldn't agree more, it lives in the "only if your desperate" work category.

Jaco has hit the nail on the head. Sony has been the lead in this area, with Smurfs, Spiderman, Men in Black. Framestore's latest co production being Gravity. Being just a vendor is dead as a business model.

b

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread