3dsMax and Revit link - some questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
3dsMax and Revit link - some questions

I have recently tried out linking in Revit files and encountered some issues I haven't been able to sort out.
  • Why is the mesh scaled, in my case 3048 instead of 100
  • Pressing Reset Position would reset the scale to 100, but where did the first scale come from anyway?
  • Even though its a mesh, I cant enter sub-object without using a modifier (edit mesh/poly). collapsing would mean un-linking from Revit. Would you suggest another workflow than this?
  • Upon import/link, I get the question if I want to combine based on material, etc, or not combine at all. Can this be changed afterwards?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Internally Revit uses imperial units for length even if the Revit source file is set to metric. 1 foot = 30.48cm so it is just the importer scaling the incoming file to match the Max system units. Reset Scale in the Hierarchy tab will reset the scale without moving the objects or changing their size.

Adding a edit mesh\poly on top of the linked geometry is the way we do it here.

You'd have to detach and relink the Revit file to change the combine options.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Originally Posted by gfh: Internally Revit uses imperial units for length even if the Revit source file is set to metric. 1 foot = 30.48cm so it is just the importer scaling the incoming file to match the Max system units. Reset Scale in the Hierarchy tab will reset the scale without moving the objects or changing their size.

Thanks G, helped me alot. About time that you yanks go over to Metric. This unit conversion thing is really unnerving

As for Hiearchy > Reset Scale - that was a nifty little button. What's the difference between this and "Reset XForm" that I usually use, and which I thought was the only option?

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread