Melted 4pin Connector (pics!!!)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2012   #1
Melted 4pin Connector (pics!!!)

Hey Guys,

Looks like I melted the 4pin connector on my render blade. I cleaned out the connector on the MB, and it looks like the pins are still in good shape. Does anyone know if I can use those two 2pin connectors, or should I go to newegg and get a molex to 4pin adapter?

Will the molex adapter be enough to power a 1090T?

(I don't know much about electricity...., so I could use some help....)

Thanks for your time,
AJ

Old 02 February 2012   #2
Its also possible a short somewhere else on the board occurred and it just happened to melt in that area because of the resistance of the connector. If you try using the board again with a different connector be very cautious.

Old 02 February 2012   #3
Luke,

Thanks for replying. I ordered a 8pin to 4pin adapter from newegg, and It should be here in the next few days.

This probably has something to do with the overclocking, and Ill defiantly put it back to stock once I bring it back to life.

Will the exposed wires on the PSU 4 pin cause problems? Can I just cut it off and put a cap on it?

Thanks,
AJ

Old 02 February 2012   #4
Originally Posted by oAJo: Will the exposed wires on the PSU 4 pin cause problems?

Yes, any exposed wire is a liability. To be honest I'd replace both the power supply and the motherboard. Or at the very least I'd replace connectors on the motherboard and power supply before trying to use either again. Using an adapter might cause more issues than it solves especially if your power supply has multiple 12V rails.

Out of curiosity what motherboard and power supply are you using?

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Sorry to dig up such an old thread, I just wanted to say thanks to Luke for the help!

I ended up cleaning out the pins a bit more, and bought a 6pin to 4pin adapter from newegg. I cut off the burned out wires, and wrapped electrical tape around each end, and then bundled them all together per your advice. I wire-tied the bundle to the case, and turned everything down to stock speed. I did look at replacing the 4 pin on the MB, but I'm not confidant with a soldering iron.

For the record, I'm using a 890-GX board from MSI, and the chip is a 1090T.

As I've hung around this forum a bit more, I realise its kinda rude to leave a thread open, so I thought I would close things out.

Thanks again Luke!
-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10 October 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread