Scale only 2 axis not working...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Scale only 2 axis not working...

Hi, learning the soft right now. Why the hell constraining the Move Tool to 2 axis work but not the scaling? 15min I try to figure this one out and yes, I googled it.

thanks

Last edited by earwax69 : 02 February 2013 at 09:29 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #2
It sounds like you are trying to scale a Primitive object, and not a true polygon model.
Try "collapse" your model (Hightlight it, and press the button "c" on your keyboard).

Then see if you can scale it in only 2 axises

Old 02 February 2013   #3
just to add to mr Jensen's reply, when using primitives, always use the attributes to give them the shape you want.
Alternatively you can use the "Object mode", but that is mostly for animation and can yield weird results if you don't understand exactly how it works.
Once you get a grasp of this (Primitive vs polygon), you will wonder how you ever lived without it :-)

Good luck and welcome to C4D

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thanks both of you! It work when collapsed. And I can use the attributes to to change the size, but they cannot be animated just by control clicking on the timeline. I have to control click directly on the little squares in the attribute window.

I guess it's fine anyway. Just the way it is.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
right click on the value descriptor (size.X or size.Y e.t.c.) NOT the number field, and you will see a menu, go to the submenu "Animation" and Add track.
Then Select (from the same sub-menu) "Show Track"
In the track, CMD-Click (Mac) on the track you want.
You can change the value and frame of the Keyframe in the attributes manager.

Hope that helps.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thanks yes it help. However is it normal that when I Ctrl-click on the timeline to add a keyframe, the value is reset to zero (the cube suddenly disappear, the size being now 0cm). Only if I use the sub-menu "add keyframe" it will do what it should.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Originally Posted by noseman: right click on the value descriptor (size.X or size.Y e.t.c.) NOT the number field, and you will see a menu, go to the submenu "Animation" and Add track.
Then Select (from the same sub-menu) "Show Track"
In the track, CMD-Click (Mac) on the track you want.
You can change the value and frame of the Keyframe in the attributes manager.

Hope that helps.

I think the best workflow in this case is to select the size parameters, then right-click and choose "Animation>Add Keyframe Selection". That way, you can just add a keyframe by pressing F9 or the keyframe icon and it will only record the keyframe selection parameters.

The strange thing now is that it doesn't seem to record the changes when I Ctrl+Click in the timeline (what you were stating). This must be a bug, not a behavior I'd find correct.
I will report the issue.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Thanks!!

It's really not big deal. I just try to understand everything I can right away. I got few weeks to learn the soft before switching to full production.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
I got another scaling problem;

I'm doing the "cascading text animation" tutorial (http://vimeo.com/9396504) and I created an animated floor under the text. When I try to scale up the master Null, some plates scale in z,x axis, some others scale in y. Pretty weird. Why the hell it's not reacting like childrens of the parent null?

I join pictures top make it more clear;

Here the bottom plates (they are expanding) in a null.

And here what happen when I scale up the Null;

Any idea why?

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Can you share the scene with just the floor?
Hard to tell without seeing your setup.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread