would it be feasible to create a node that parses python ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
would it be feasible to create a node that parses python ?

I'm wondering if it is possible to have a node that reads and execute python code and that can be plugged (like an outColor attribute) ?

I'm not sure this can be done; I'm aware of python has shortcomings like threading and I do not know much how the DG works but I'm just wondering what roads I should go down. This would mainly for prototyping, and even in production I don't mind a 5 second operation using a basic library like PIL.

Thanks for inputs & thoughts!

Old 02 February 2013   #2
what about just writing a scripted python node?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
This will work only for the software renderer, 3rd party renderers don't understand custom nodes, so you'll have to write the corresponding .mi shader (mental ray) or vray plugin, or whatever you render engine needs.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Azrail: This will work only for the software renderer, 3rd party renderers don't understand custom nodes, so you'll have to write the corresponding .mi shader (mental ray) or vray plugin, or whatever you render engine needs.

so basically the noise/checker nodes actually have their own implementation for every engine ?

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Yup, and if you've ever work with VRay, you may have noticed that their noise implementation is kinda weird, at least few builds ago, especially when you use noise for bump.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
So what about a workflow that hijacks a fileTexture node, replaces it with freshly computed data ?

Old 02 February 2013   #7
Well you can try that - create a simple node which outputs a color attribute, and connect it to a file.colorGain for example, then render with the different engines to see if it works.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Azrail: This will work only for the software renderer, 3rd party renderers don't understand custom nodes, so you'll have to write the corresponding .mi shader (mental ray) or vray plugin, or whatever you render engine needs.

Is this true for now? I havent really switched over and given >2013 that much go but the custom nodes I have written in Python works fine with all renders I tried them in, I use VRay mostly so should be fine if you ask me.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
What type of custom nodes? If you mean designated shading nodes, like pattern generators of some sort (voronoi, stripes and whatnot), I will be glad if I'm wrong. I also have nodes, which work, but that's mainly because they manipulate vertex colors and other geometry stuff, so in the end it's just plain geometry.
It would be nice if you can share some code also.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread