red 4d edl and nuke

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
red 4d edl and nuke

I'm going to be given a drive with some red 4k footage and an edl. I'll be doing some greenscreen work. The edl will come from an avid symphony system.

I've been looking around but have yet to find a workflow for this. Can I import an edl into Nuke and relink the files to the r3d media? What if I change the r3d to dpx or exr? Any help with this workflow would be appreciated. I have not worked with red media before so I'm a little lost.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Originally Posted by rochre26: I'm going to be given a drive with some red 4k footage and an edl. I'll be doing some greenscreen work. The edl will come from an avid symphony system.

I've been looking around but have yet to find a workflow for this. Can I import an edl into Nuke and relink the files to the r3d media? What if I change the r3d to dpx or exr? Any help with this workflow would be appreciated. I have not worked with red media before so I'm a little lost.

As Nuke doesn't have any editing timeline, I cannot see any way to import an edl. Check Hiero software from The Foundry co., because is the one that you need to conform your files.

Without Hiero you have to do it manually: in Nuke you can open de r3d files, but if you export them as dpx or exr you have to import them again into Avid.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
using redcine

I'll be using an edl output at file_16 and brought into redcine then exporting dpx to nuke. Thank you. I'll check out Hiero.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Recently (Sep 2012) we had a project using RED Epic 5K .R3D files. We ended up using REDCINE-X PRO. It is free from RED website.

https://www.red.com/downloads/4fad7fd417ef027cd8000eb1

HIERO worked but I was not filling that comfortable. Was easier for us the RED software pipeline to 16bit .EXRs or .DPX

Also Adobe Premier CS6 (wit ha help of plugin) can direct load .edl
If I remember well, it was a successful pipeline.

I don't recomend SpeedGrade CS6 for .edl stuff.
It worked well for playback .R3D files and exporting to different formats etc. (but we had some crashes)

hope this helps,
Andronikos

best,
Andronikos

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Speaking as an Editor and Compositor, I note that editorial has not provided all of the necessary workflow materials. They should limit the r3ds delivered to what you need and provide at least a chase QuickTime so you can match up your frames. I am an Avid editor who has cut and mastered a lot of network projects, let me know if I can help further.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Quote: They should limit the r3ds delivered to what you need and provide at least a chase QuickTime so you can match up your frames.
I agree on the quicktime, but in my experience it is quite usual the the complete package is delivered to both editorial and vfx. It's just easier to copy all of it.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
In some cases it is preferred that the vfx team to have .R3D files (keying, roto etc).
Having not clamped and full res material results in better detail. Of course you will receive a big hit on your network and system load

Keep in mind that receiving plates in higher fps + 5K increases the amount of work needed.

thanx-

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread