creating polygon surface from multiple curves?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
creating polygon surface from multiple curves?

Does anyone know how you can make a polygonal surface from multiple curves in Maya? I'm trying to create spiderman webbing using multiple curves as in the image below and can't seem to find a loft/extrude function to work to create the webbing correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg webbing_curves.JPG (40.5 KB, 53 views)

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Use "Surfaces" > "Planar"
Have a look here:
http://download.autodesk.com/us/may...ber=d0 e239225

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Originally Posted by DeadlyNightshade: Use "Surfaces" > "Planar

Quote: Note: Although the boundary of a planar surface can be manipulated to change the shape of the surface, the surface must remain planar at all times.

I have no idea how you will be able to do this with what you've got atm skdzines... you may have to try a completely different approach altogether.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Nathan: Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Then you have to split up each nurbs "circle" into 4 sections each. Use the EP curve tool to create the intersections and press C when clicking your "circles": that way the intersecting curve sticks to the curve.

Then select the intersector, and then the curve and go to Edit Curve > Cut curve
After you've done that you use Loft to build surfaces between these curve sections (Uniform, Auto reverse, Cubic, One span). But here is the thing: If you output this as surfaces then you are gonna have a BIG problem merging the surfaces together. That's one of the biggest limitations of working with NURBS: You can't just combine surfaces the same way you do with polys.

So output the loft as polygons instead, clean the poly meshes and merge the verts together.

I would also like to point out that I think that your workflow has been flawed from the very start. If I were to make a spiderman character I wouldn't use NURBS but make a highpoly mesh and sculpt the webs. OR make a lowpoly, flat mesh without webs, and later paint a heightmap for conversion into a normal map.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thanks for the replies guys! I figured it was not going to be as easy as I was hoping. I actually have a flat pretty high poly mesh of it I created using ZBrush. The mesh is pretty messy so I was hoping to clean up the amount of edges.

Anyway, here is the mesh generated from Zbrush. I'm wanting to basically select about every other edge and delete them. I also want to clean up the areas where the webbing intersects each other, it's pretty ugly. I also have the rest of the body webbing that basically looks the same as this to clean up which is going to be rather time consuming otherwise.

I was thinking I might be able to get a cleaner less dense mesh if I used curves to loft a surface. I took that mesh and did a select all border edges and converted them to curves hoping that I could somehow recreate a lower poly version.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg webbing_surface.JPG (63.0 KB, 34 views)

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Nah your mesh is cool that way, but yea you need to reduce the polycount.
So check the "Reduce polygons" -tool.
Be careful with it though - backup your file just in case.

You want to have it keep all the edge borders. And start with a small preservation value of like 75% or so. It's better to reduce polys in babysteps - at least until you get a really good hang of the tool.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread