Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Aaron Arlof

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Aaron Arlof

Aaron Arlof has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Old 10 October 2004   #2
Concept Sketch: The Encounter

I first thought about the kind of scene I wanted to show. I wasn't really in the mood to do any kind of battle scene. I wanted something that showed a moment in a day in this space society. I was trying to show different aspects of the society without overshadowing any one thing. unwittingly, I created a whole story base without even trying. However, the scene I had in mind didn't want to come into a pleasing composition, so I tried re-working the scene some, in the following images.

Old 10 October 2004   #3
Additional refinements

I was trying to refine this image more, adding detail to the ring in the middle, but I eventually abandoned this idea for another on that sprung from this one.

Old 10 October 2004   #4
A re-organized layout

This was the last attempt I did on this idea. I tried pulling the items I thought were essential from the other images and rearranging them into a better layout.

Old 10 October 2004   #5
The final direction

This turned out to be the best idea I had for this. I came up with the idea of "The Encounter". The story:

Humans have advanced a bit more in the last 50 years. The frontier of space has been handed off by governments to private corporations. Several corporations have gotten together and formed a small organization of people to take a voyage into space in search of other planets that could house humans. As the team comes onto anything significant, what they see if beamed back to Earth in the form of streaming video and audio and recorded, to be analyzed later. The ship they are on is named the E-01. During their voyage into space, they came onto a small planet surrounded by a metallic "hand" with a large spire protruding from it. This is defintely intelligent life. This is a technologically advanced civilization. They are surrounding us. The ship is confronted by one large ship and dozens of smaller ships. What could this mean? Are they friendly? Will they destory the E-01? It's too early to tell. This is the first Encounter.

Old 10 October 2004   #6
The E-01

This is a slightly more defined version of the E-01 ship. I will be making more detailed schematic drawings of this before building it and I need to define the look of the alien spacecraft. I'm still debating the style of the aliens.

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread