Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #151
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBit
Bloom looks pretty cool. Anyone using it and can comment?

"Bloom" is the new name for "ORMR". It is still under (very slow) development, and very buggy and prone to crash. It is not a complete product yet.

The GUI is terrible in my personal view, and requires a rethink. Having said that, it is interesting that everything is truly non-destructive, and it does sport some interesting ideas.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #152
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBit
I think a photoshop equivalent that is reasonably priced would change the game at this point.
Thanks.

Well, if you disregard the video and 3d functionality of Photoshop, Photoline comes to mind. In a number of areas it does a better job than Photoshop.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #153
Carlosand
Carlosan

portfolio
Carlos Andreoni
Buenos%2BAires, Argentina

Send a message via ICQ to Carlosand
Now that Hitfilm3 express is free... any got a chance to test it ?
https://hitfilm.com/express

Old 09-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #154
vlad74
Expert
portfolio
Vladimir Venkov
freelancer
East Grinstead, United Kingdom

Hey guys has anyone tried Photoline ? as a Photoshop replacement. I downloaded it and played a bit. I like it quite a lot. Will probably buy it.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #155
EightBit
Expert
Mitch Rosefelt
OutThereSumwhere, USA

It seems to me that I tried Photoline a couple of years ago. Looking at the current version, it looks pretty cool! Definitely give the one month trial a go.

Also for vector graphics I've been using Drawplus 8. It has some great features. Not as robust as AI, but it does some things better.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM   #156
EightBit
Expert
Mitch Rosefelt
OutThereSumwhere, USA

Update:
I've been using Photoline for about a year now. It is well designed and pretty feature rich and I now use it more often than PShop CS6. I still have not gone to the cloud.
I will state that I do much less graphics these days...

FWIW, and I'm not profiting in any way, I did receive a notice of a discount (thru tomorrow) on 2 new apps for photo/vector workflow. I purchased them, but it will be awhile before I can report on how much I like them, but looking at their product pages, they look pretty darn promising. Even without the discount, they are inexpensive.

The apps are Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. The store, w/product links, is here. .

Old 03-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #157
kartr
Explorer

portfolio

It's a shame that autodesk end of lifed 'Sketchbook Designer' :(
Anyway, I can get that old version? Thanks.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:50 PM   #158
moogaloonie
Expert
portfolio
Casey R Williams
Lansignum Studios
Morgantown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartr
It's a shame that autodesk end of lifed 'Sketchbook Designer' :(
Anyway, I can get that old version? Thanks.

That's why I have always avoided them. There is no reason to buy and/or discontinue so many products. They could make them free, they could open source them, etc. It just looks like they don't treat their acquisitions with the same love as their homegrown products. At least they did make meshmixer free, for some reason.

Anyway, isn't ArtRage pretty similar to Sketchbook Designer?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #159
cookepuss
Expert
Rob
NYC, USA

Actually, I think that ArtRage is probably closer to Corel Painter instead. Both are natural media focused. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that SketchBook Designer leaned more heavily on vector. SketchBook Pro, otoh, is strictly a raster endeavor.

I wouldn't even say that ArtRage is a SBP alternative simply because one does something exceedingly well that the other does not. For example, imo, SBP probably has the best, most accurate, looking and feeling pencil around. ArtRage, however, might not have as good of a pencil, but the paints & brushes are outstanding - especially when you turn on RYB mixing.

It's a shame that SketchBook Pro moved to subscription only after v7 though. I'm happy with my perpetual v7 license, but can't see much reason why ADSK would make such a small app a subscription only affair. It's just greedy. Even Adobe keeps perpetual license versions of Photoshop and Premiere as part of their Elements line.

I'm not sure if there's a 1:1 alternative to SketchBook Designer. I know that the recently released JugiPaint does raster & vector painting, but not nearly in the same class as ADSK's app. Inkscape is probably closer, but much more of an Illustrator alternative.

reply share thread