Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #16
phiwchu
portfolio
Phillip Chung
Student
USA

Hi everyone! I'm coming from CGHUB's F1 Heroes character competition and will be joining this contest now that CGHUB is gone. It's a little late, but I'll post my entry choice later tomorrow once I figure out what I have time for. Great entries so far!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #17
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

NOTE: this is a crosspost of what i just posted in the topic suggestions thread, just for visibility and it's probably a bit more suited here anyway

in regards to the lack of participation lately is it possible that perhaps some people aren't seeing enough incentive to enter?

any time I've entered it's never been about any sort of prize but I know that there are people who would be more likely to enter something if there was some sort of 'pot o' gold' at the end of the rainbow so to speak.

It could be something as simple as US$25 in a paypal payment, or a digital-tutors lesson, or a month of a CG cookie subscription, or a gnomon workshop DVD (or a month of a subscription there for $59), even an amazon voucher.

It doesn't need to be some big extravagant thing, just enough to encourage involvement.

I owe a lot of my early progression in 3D to this contest and I would hate to see this place die out, so I'm just throwing ideas out there for consideration.

EDIT: and as for topics it might be best if they are more creatively open. I know in the past we've focused a lot on recreating things in exacting detail, or recreating things from someones body of work but sometimes that can limit peoples interest in participating (the Ansel Adams challenge is one that particularly comes to mind).

So if we went more creatively open with the topics they could be things like:
- create the ultimate 80's action hero
- design a scifi interior
- design a spaceship
- create a comic book character (or a live action version of an established comic book character)
- recreate a room in your house
- straight self portraits (or creating a character where you are the base for it)
- militarised animals

so the topics would be less 'pick something off this list" and more "here's an idea...run with it"

again...just throwing ideas out there.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
nuzzletops
portfolio

Can always steal a page from ConceptArt.org's book, their challenges have always had more than a few participants, and they are mostly some kind of re-imagining of an existing archetype. Also most of the WIPs were posted in one WIP thread, then a final thread was created for everyone else to vote on. This helps everyone see pat and current contests, and includes everything in one easy viewing place, for spectators and contributors alike.

I'm new here though, and I'm just starting to learn how to sculpt, so I would be using these mostly as a prompt for something to make when my brain goes blank until I get better.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #19
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Most of the biggest challenge participation was base on a known universe: Star Wars, Miyazaki, etc.

I think if you throw a challenge in a specific universe you can reach more people.

Frankstein in the Lord of the Rings universe or

an Elf in the universe of Wolfenstein..

A Stormtrooper in the Egyptian era.

Sometime just a known universe or Era or Culture can bring ideas. After all many universe mix the genre.

Shadowrun RPG: Cyber Ork.

Deadland RPG: Mad scientist.

For me a price can bring me to a challenge, but it's just me. The hardcore modeling challenge is, for me, a challenge for Senior modeler. There is Hardcore in the title after all. Mini-challenges are for the junior. But again, it's my personal opinion.

You should try to propose a subject of challenge from the cool list that people enter in the threat: Topic Suggestions. Some are pretty good.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #20
nuzzletops
portfolio

You know, it might not be a bad idea to make a "Softcore" modelling challenge, it can be simple one-model type things. And then the Hardcore modelling can be some of the crazy shit that I've been looking through on the old HCM threads.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #21
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Good idea...

BTW I plan to launch in a few days..
I might go and do an Anime inspired challenge.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 07-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
cbeese
Frequenter

portfolio
Chris Beese
QA
Raven Software
Madison, USA

I would hate to see this challenge die. So even though I have and still am super busy at work, I will still try to get something done for this upcoming one.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Anime inspiration challenge could be great. I will join for the HCM Challenge future!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Good idea...

BTW I plan to launch in a few days..
I might go and do an Anime inspired challenge.

Would it be like "Masters of Anime" which was limited to only certain directors? As much as I liked all of those masters, opening it up to any anime would probably bring in more people.

Plus there's a certain project I've been planning for a long time...

Edit:
Whatever you decide, lets get this puppy rolling. I'm starting to feel bad for not contributing lately.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 07-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #25
robo3687
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Paul Robinson
Cundletown, Australia

well y'know what...I think I might just participate this time...it feels like it's been forever

plus if we go with the anime thing (hoping for open season, and not a 'masters' type of deal) I have a couple of ideas...

reply share thread