Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
kielbasa
Frequenter
portfolio
charles
Lodz, Poland

Lathe - preserving dimensions and section problem.

hello everyone,

I have problem with lathe command.
I'd like to create a 3d solid that would be symmetrical in both sections (fig.1).
The problem is that when I use 'lathe' command, my given spline-section (half) becomes diagonal section of created solid (fig. 2,3). That means that created object, when viewed from the front (4) is thinner than it should be.
I made an attachment to show what it's all about.

Or maybe there's an easier way to build this solid having this specific section, and I'm just using the wrong one?

Anyone has an idea what to do with it?
thanks

To be more precise, I'd like to build a solid that would have same sections in both directions (picture 2nd)
For the first look it seems to be very simple but..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pytanie6.jpg (55.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by kielbasa : 03-16-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez
West Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Aikku
Well, my guess is that the center point isn't properly placed or you're not properly aligning the lathe modifier (usually, I just align to x/y/z instead of min/max).

That said, though, if you're lathing the same shape throughout the entire object, you need only model one half of the cross-section before applying a lathe modifier (make sure it's set to 360deg in this case).

Old 03-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
kielbasa
Frequenter
portfolio
charles
Lodz, Poland

Aikku, yes, I used half of course, that's why I wrote 'my given spline-section (half)'.
That's not the problem of centre, min max, or axis.
Lathe just place the spline as a diagonal section, and I'd like to have it as a cross section in both directions, like it's on the second picture. And If it's placed as a diagonal section, than the front view is smaller than I'd like it to be.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Aikku
Veteran
portfolio
Ruben Nunez
West Melbourne, Australia

Send a message via MSN to Aikku
Oh right, sorry - I was speed-reading.

Well, I would probably close the shape and apply a symmetry modifier on top - this will create a poly in that shape. Then you'd just have to rotate a copy 90deg using an instance or another sort of modifier on top of the symmetry (sorry I can't elaborate further - I'm half-asleep and heading to bed in a few =P).

Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
MGernot
Expert

portfolio
Gernot Melichar
Austria

That`s not what the lathe-modifier is for.
Better use the bevel-profile modifier for that.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
kielbasa
Frequenter
portfolio
charles
Lodz, Poland

M gernot, could You explain how You did it using bevel ?

Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
MGernot
Expert

portfolio
Gernot Melichar
Austria

Simple:

1) Create the base with a rectangle shape.
2) Create the profile spline
3) Add the Bevel-profile modifier to the base
4) Pick the profile spline in the modfier.

Note: If it comes out wrong, you probably need to rotate the profile spline.(In the modifers sub-object)

Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
kielbasa
Frequenter
portfolio
charles
Lodz, Poland

M gernot, I reaaalllly appreciate Your help, You just said in couple of words what I've been trying to do for three days. Thanks mate, it works!

There was only a problem with the profile itself, cause I had it drawn on the top view.
When I rotated this object to have it in the front view, and the rectangle was in the top view, bevel modifier still treated the profile as it was drawn on the top view, and bevel did some weird flat stuff. So I had to re-draw it in the front view (there is probably some other way), and the bevel did what it should. I just, like You said, had to rotate profile gizmo, because the profile was mirrored.
Thanks!

Last edited by kielbasa : 03-16-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread