How do you do your eyelids?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
How do you do your eyelids?

Hi everyone, I've started this thread to gain more information on how most character artists prefer to approach sculpting eyelids. this isn't a question of how to sculpt the anatomy, but rather more of a poll of how one prefers to sculpt a default, or bind pose of the eyelid.

I'm using zbrush, so this thread might be misplaced, but I figure I'll have access to more viewers. besides, the basic principles bridge different software.

I usually like to sculpt the character with lazy eyes, in that I mean the lids are half closed, so I can get an average amount of texture space through poly paint, and avoid texture stretching when the eyes are closed. Of course more space can be gained through the uvs as well. I usually bring the eyelid down half way after sculpting the eyes fully open, as to get an idea for how the character will look without this lazy eye approach. This lazy eye method also makes adding extra edge loops easier during retopology.

Does anyone take a similar approach? Do you prefer to save a mask of the lid area to reload in accordance with the transpose tool to move the lid over the eyes? Or do you prefer to create a
range of rotation on the base mesh in your 3d app and then reload to zbrush?

I'm mostly just curios to know what everyone does?

Old 02 February 2013   #2
If I'm modeling for someone else, I do the eyes exactly as they're drawn, just to avoid any "it doesn't look like the drawing" headaches before the model's skinned.

For my own characters, I've been modeling them closed. Not even a natural closed shape... For my latest I have it closed in a straight line across the center of the eye. I figured this would make it easier to rig, but it also complicates things because you need to open the eye at some point just to make sure it works. In this case, I found out I may have been using the wrong eyeball size.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Originally Posted by Lomax: In this case, I found out I may have been using the wrong eyeball size.

I've found eyeball placement is always a bit tricky. Sometimes stylistic representations require a larger sphere, as well as relatively realistic characters that require a larger pupil for emphasis. The larger the eye, the more awkward the feel of the placement becomes(within a size range, not necessarily a cartoon style).

It helps me most to place the eye spheres with the pole of the sphere facing straight foreward, then I add a slight iris demarcation that be drawn on the pole at a relatively low resolution or polypainted on, before I start sculpting the face. This way, as I sculpt, I get a feel for the balance of white on each side of the eye, as well as the ratio of iris being overlapped by the upper lid.

Recently, I've been using a smaller eyeball, closer to anatomic measurements, which before felt oddly too small. This has helped me to define a socket and lid area that are easier to expanded than shrink.

You can see that things are a bit muted because of my dynamesh, later at a point when I have more resolution, I'll start moving the lid of the eye down away from the preseptal.

Last edited by jgibz : 02 February 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread