SmartRefs - External reference plugin for 3ds Max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2017
SmartRefs - External reference plugin for 3ds Max

Hi there!
I am Felix Joleanes lead developer of SmartRefs, a new system of external references for 3ds max. I just wanted to make a little announcement here for those who can be interested.

here in the website you can see some videos explaining the advantages of using smartrefs for your external references in 3ds max:
http://smartrefs.com/
here more videos:
http://smartrefs.com/videos_tutorials/
and here a general explanation of the features of the plugin:
http://smartrefs.com/features/

***EDIT***
SmartRefs is now available to download:
http://smartrefs.com/download/

Best Regards

Last edited by phoelix : 6 Days Ago at 05:39 PM.

07 July 2017
Great idea!*

Its a shame Xrefs have stopped working as they used to, its been an absolute nightmare for 3 years!!!*

Thanks for your input, ill be happy to try it once it goes full release. Great initiative

07 July 2017
this look very helpfull.

07 July 2017
Holy shit-balls... I need this... I've mailed about the beta... I will abuse this and push it to the limit for you....

07 July 2017
Thanks a lot for your interest guys!
I will let you know when the release version is available.
regards!

Last edited by phoelix : 07 July 2017 at 01:54 PM.

07 July 2017
Hi everybody!

Yes, holy shit! Looks promising.
We need this very much.

Felix I sent you an email, we would like to participate in the Beta.

Cheers.

07 July 2017
OMGOMGOMGOMG

Please fix XREFS in Max for good!!

One quick question:

I´ve only recently used maya, working on my first short film on the online collaboration platform over at Artella and one thing I noticed is that Maya reference files seem to be much easier to handly when it comes to paths.

I´m not sure how this works or if its just smart programming over at Artella, but in Max once you move the XREF scene to another location, you have to point to it again.

Would SmartRefs be more like Maya in that regard?

I´m also sending you a mail to participate in the beta.

I could start using it in my short film and once I´m confident it works, we´d probably purchase it for the company I work for.

07 July 2017
The same happens with maya as far as i know. If a file has been moved maya asks where the file is.

But i'll be glad to receive any suggestion of how this could be handled better with SmartRefs.*

3 Weeks Ago
I just tried this out today (trial version) and it looks very promising. 

Anyone one tested or used this since the release over the weekend? I have done some cursory stuff with it, using animation rigs, and it has held up really well (so far). 

Great work Felix.

3 Weeks Ago
I have been working with SmartRefs on a huge project (30+ highrises, 1000+ houses, etc) in the last month, and this is the best thing since sliced bread.
The master scenes for animations and final viz images only contain the main animation, camera and render information. The rest is ALL in smartRefs. Specifics for objects/animations in the Smartrefs you can edit in the master scenes without altering the Smartrefs themselves. Technical stuff and materials you change in the SmartRefs, and this works astonishing well, as long as you keep all names (and this is very important!) the same, so the edits in the master scenes are preserved. You better have a system that can handle working with multiple Max instances open, so you can work on the Smartrefs and the master scene at the same time. Working this way keeps your master scenes lean and clean, while saving lots and lots of hard disk space and intermediate saving time. I still would like more preview options (like box mode or the point mode in Forest Pro) and a way to save edits in the master scene back to the Smartref, but all in all as it is now I can't live without it anymore. Even when using VRay or SINI proxies, that can further depressurize your scenes, this tool makes working with huge scenes a breeze. On top of that Felix is very supportive. I have seen a lot of useful plugins come and go in the last years and really hope this one will get the credit it deserves so it can can be supported and developed.

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks TRick. Happy to hear it's been a success! We all know Max has been crying out for this type of system for years now, so again kudos to Felix on attempting, and seemingly doing a good job on it (something that eludes the max team to this day).

I'm running this by some folks at our studio, and we are looking to test this soon and do a more in depth evaluation. It's great news that it has held up well in  your pipeline.

3 Weeks Ago
Thanks a lot guys for trying SmartRefs!. 

There will be more new features and updates coming, so if you have any suggestion or see something not working as expected you can post here or message me at contact@smartrefs.com

Thanks again!.

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

6 Days Ago
Hi!,
Here i want to share a new video showing how you can use Biped and CAT rigs with SmartRefs. Being able to update any change to the character file in the animated scenes:

Personal Website:
www.joleanes.com

reply share thread