Caliban - WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  11 November 2006
Caliban - WIP

Hello. I'm in the process of building Caliban from Shakespeare's The Tempest - for my own amusement. There is not much in the way of description; some of the characters can't decide whether he is a man or a fish so that's my starting point. The head will be decidedly fishy, but the body is more frog-like in design - bulbous chest, reduced ribs, wide joints and long fore arms and legs. Because I want him to look natural on all fours, I've moved the arms further forward like a quadruped. But instead of having the shoulder blades flush against the sides of the ribcage, I've curled them round like a shell.

I'm building the character as a skeleton/muscle rig that will deform and define the skin. I've added controllers for the wrist twist and for snapping the patella into the femur's groove when the leg bends.

As far as the muscles go, I've done the arms, legs and feet. Still some tweaking to be done to make it look natural but at the same time sharp enough to effect the skin. I'll post examples later this week. I'm using the cgMuscle primitive - from ACT - which is a parametric, uncapped cylinder that bulges when you squish it with dummies. A subtle example:

Few more views:

Thanks for reading my first thread :o)

share thread