Caliban - WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2006
Caliban - WIP

Hello. I'm in the process of building Caliban from Shakespeare's The Tempest - for my own amusement. There is not much in the way of description; some of the characters can't decide whether he is a man or a fish so that's my starting point. The head will be decidedly fishy, but the body is more frog-like in design - bulbous chest, reduced ribs, wide joints and long fore arms and legs. Because I want him to look natural on all fours, I've moved the arms further forward like a quadruped. But instead of having the shoulder blades flush against the sides of the ribcage, I've curled them round like a shell.

I'm building the character as a skeleton/muscle rig that will deform and define the skin. I've added controllers for the wrist twist and for snapping the patella into the femur's groove when the leg bends.

As far as the muscles go, I've done the arms, legs and feet. Still some tweaking to be done to make it look natural but at the same time sharp enough to effect the skin. I'll post examples later this week. I'm using the cgMuscle primitive - from ACT - which is a parametric, uncapped cylinder that bulges when you squish it with dummies. A subtle example:

Few more views:

Thanks for reading my first thread :o)

11 November 2006
Very nice bone structure. I look forward to seeing this skinned

11 November 2006
awesome model so far. Looking forward your net steps.

11 November 2006
Very, very cool!

I look forward to following the progress!

11 November 2006
Wow very nice work! You guy have a strong sense of anatomy, this is nice.
Modeling looks perfect and even render is yet simple but very efective.
I'm sure this will end up very very beautyfully!

I wish I was running the same cgMuscle system on my current wip, looks very nice. Anyhow just for pleasure I'll follow this one. Don't hesitate to be very detailed on this, I'm very interested.

Thanks for sharing ^^

11 November 2006
Arm Setup

Thanks for the feedback! I've made a few images of the limb muscles in action - this is where I am at the moment with the project. The muscles love to do their own thing, so I've pummelled them into submission through wiring. They have to hit specific 'shapes' when the bones rotate - bit like pose to pose animation. I've removed some muscles so that the eventual topology will have more pits and peaks...well, that's the theory.

I'm having to fake collisions between the bones and muscles, so there is the odd bit of clipping.

The muscle design is a mixture of seal and human, but it's bone shape that's mostly dictating the look.

09 September 2007
Thumbs up Very nice

Muscles and bones... very complex!

I like so much to see the final work... i wait for this...

Congratulations!

09 September 2007
Ho-lee cow, you do it to yourself...

dingwang6 & lizardforum - Thank you both for commenting :o)

Mini-update: Finished(ish) the toad skin on the back and was made manager of Chelsea FC.

01 January 2008
Its koushik

Hi man....
its a great work...
how can you do that ? /

great great....
koushikibiswas21@gmail.com

01 January 2008
beautiful.

I am subscribing.

this is obivously too good not to watch.

I am amazed by your knowledge about 3dsmax. I have seen so many people tangling in problems at one point or the other. and they never get over it because nobody knows the solution.

you seem to know it all with the workarounds included.
awesome.
I am barely keeping myself from asking the ever annoying "how did you do that? and how did you do that and that?"

type of questions.

nice work man keep it up.

(although, if you get the displacement map work with vray I ll be asking you to tell me how. =D )

01 January 2008
shtl - I'm gonna be the King of Abandoning!

Jack - 20? Even hard-nosed Holyywood agents only ask for 15!

Messor - It would have to be a creepy Ariel, that's my only setting :o)

koushik21 - Through trial and error...mainly error!

Zodiac - Don't worry, ask away :o)

Update: Back on the treadwheel. Detailing flippers, remembering settings and buttons.

01 January 2008
canadian asks for 5, chinese asks for 5, peronally i ask 5 for myself, and also asking another 5 in case in the future i get a girlfriend and she wants some cash. so that adds up to 20. muahaha. j/k.

I really dig the pattern and how they flow. The briliant part is, when i look at it i can pretty much tell how you did in zb. But if you ask me to do that from nothing, i will be completely lost. for using simple skills to create impressive result!

01 January 2008
Jack - I think it's more to do with me only knowing how to use 4 brushes :o)

Update: Spent Sunday detailing up the legs. Probably could have finished this part but I thought it was more important, for the project, if I made a Marine climb onto a box. Obviously.

A small triumph for the technically inept:

Last edited by Piek : 01 January 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: ugly, ugly spaces

Thread Closed share thread