CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
PrimeBishop
portfolio

i'm a total noob! what should i learn first??

hey guy my name is Nghia i'm 18 years old and i want to learn 3D and be come a Characters Artist! to make games

i've never study art before so could you guys give me some advice to what should i learn first???

what software should i use, what online course should i take! but free would be best, i'm currently still in school so i cant make any money to pay for all the expensive stuff.

thank you all in advance for all of your advice.

Last edited by PrimeBishop : 07-03-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
aqua9
Frequenter

portfolio
Aditya Reddy Chilumula
Hyderabad, India

Hi Nghia,

Welcome,
My suggestion would be to get some basic understanding of a 3D software like Maya on your own, there are plenty of resources available online. You can go ahead and start exploring Maya, as it is used in most of the studios.
for you I think you can first check these tutorials:
http://www.digitaltutors.com/learni...Started-in-Maya
Digital Tutors are the best for a beginner. After completing this course you can then decide what to do.
send me a private message if you want help in getting the learning material

Cheers
Aditya

Old 07-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
PrimeBishop
portfolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua9
Hi Nghia,

Welcome,
My suggestion would be to get some basic understanding of a 3D software like Maya on your own, there are plenty of resources available online. You can go ahead and start exploring Maya, as it is used in most of the studios.
for you I think you can first check these tutorials:
http://www.digitaltutors.com/learni...Started-in-Maya
Digital Tutors are the best for a beginner. After completing this course you can then decide what to do.
send me a private message if you want help in getting the learning material

Cheers
Aditya

thank you so much for your help Aditya, i'm truly grateful for your help and i will definitely contact you if i ran into any trouble

Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Kaowut
portfolio
matthieu poirey
London, United Kingdom

Hey Primebishop,

My suggestion would be to start with the basics.
If you think about it the bigger and stronger the base of a building is the higher it can go and last !

Everything created is inspired by reality so I would suggest you train your eye at seeing reality as it is and I think the quickest, cheapest and once again most basic way of doing it is to learn how to DRAW with a pencil on a piece of paper.

This will give you a MASSIVE advantage in the competition to the top...

Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
kunalht
Newbie at CGI

portfolio
Kunal Trivedi
Student
India

I was also new to 3D art before some days. I started learning with Digital tutors and they are great.
Try introduction courses in both Maya and 3Ds max and then go advance in any one you like. If you are also student like me , you can get any Autodesk product's student version for free(For learning only) . Message me if you need any help.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
sacboi
[Ping Pong Addict]

portfolio
Ian Rei
CG Generalist
TBA
Melbourne, Australia

You may also want to consider taking the opensource option such as Blender's latest iteration 2.71 which also has comparable feature sets found in the proprietary packages listed above.

Since you've stated a minimal artistic background & focused towards organic modelling an understanding of anatomy to achieve optimal results would be in my honest opinion an essential requirement, so I'd also advise searching for relevant instruction materiel found on the General Techniques sub-forum.

Cheers ;)

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
WIP: Game Demo & Sketchbook

Old 07-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
PrimeBishop
portfolio

thx for all of the tips guys i'm currently studying a traditional art course and maybe after a year or so i'm gonna try 3D, and start with the basic like Maya, 3ds Max, and hopefully Zbrush =))

thank you guys so much for your help, wish you guys the best of luck on your project and your work and cheers!

Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
MrPositive
I got your freakin post

portfolio
C Positive
3D Art Instructor
Poland

Send a message via Yahoo to MrPositive
A character artist you say? Then I'd push the computer away for a second and take a local clay sculpture course. If that is too expensive then order or go buy some super sculpey and craft some simple heads, bodies, hands, feet, etc. Computer character art is just an extension from what we've learned in traditional sculpture: proportions, anatomy, weight, etc. Get back to the basics and you'll cut out years of wasted time on the computer in my opinion.

Last edited by MrPositive : 07-27-2014 at 03:41 PM.

reply share thread