powercreative
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Eckert
Power Creative
Louisville, USA

Network Rendering Thoughts....

Situation:
We often use VRay Distributed rendering for print, but also use Smedge to distribute to our in-house Boxx Renderfarm for animation. Both of the methods use the same machines, and this can also include our local workstations when they are freed up enough. Often, both rendering methods run at the same time. There are huge benefits to both methods circumstantially. Currently, we just ask if anyone is using distributed before doing so to avoid a crash. We have found that our farm can handle a simultaneous distributed and Smedge render without a problem, but if two people try to distribute it will start acting a fool.

Questions:
I was wondering if anyone else in a professional environment using VRay has any thoughts or perspective on managing this from a hardware/software POV. Does anyone prefer to have dedicated vray machines for distributed rendering such as a Boxx RenderPro separately from the a farm strictly dedicated to application (I.E. Smedge) managed renders? It seems this would be wise, but will require more purchasing. Is there some kind of other way to better manage both together that I am not aware of? How do you all handle your farms?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

what do you mean by "run afoul" ?... what kinds of problems... are you using backburner with vray?

my guess is that most nodes are being dedicated with the Smedge controller... but it seems like you are using two different cluster controllers, i'm not certain though.

if that's the case, then they're both probably fighting for core time.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
rendermaniac
Simon Bunker
Shader Writer / TD
Australia

You should really get all jobs under the control of one farm management software - in your case Smedge. Even if Smedge doesn't run the distributed renders it should at least mark those machines as busy. Hopefully you can also get it to receive a signal so they can be put back in the farm when the distributed render is finished. I don't have any experience with Vray or Smedge so I can't offer any specific advice.

Simon

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
powercreative
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Eckert
Power Creative
Louisville, USA

That is a good idea. I can talk to the guys at Smedge and VRay to see if they will do some kind of "if machine is busy, then defer" detection, it probably will not be that big a deal for them. That seems like it would solve the problem of dueling management systems. That kind of behavior would be better than continually trying to use a machine that is already busy. This is what happens if you simultaneously do a distributed print render while also having frames rendering on the farm.

Seems like a fair solution.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread