redogre
Frequenter

portfolio
Ahmet Elginoz
Free lance architect
telmodel
Istanbul, Turkey

Send a message via ICQ to redogre Send a message via MSN to redogre
I think Carl Bass is like you tell your father what you do, he says speak english, and you say "You know Avatar, I am doing that kind of thing". Before you know he tells people you are making movies on your computer.

Cloud computing "seems" like the future, but history is full of promising ideas forgotten because of new technology.

If internet is fast as the cable from your computer to your monitor, basicly you can play or work from a computer miles away, is what people think.

What they really don't think is the latency. It can be very very small, but it is always there, and while working, that small waiting time is why we pay 4 times the price for a quadro for only twice the performance or a Xenon cpu. That is why some people still use cable mice instead of wireless ones.

And for the crackers, I don't support them, but they will find a way, like local running servers sometimes they do in games. But it will be more risky. I never put a crack on my workstation, paying 30-50$ for a game is better then the risk of losing a job because of a trojan or worm. I am connected to internet, but I really understand people not going online on their workstations, better safe than sorry...

Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #32
orenvfx
Explorer

portfolio
oren leventar
Israel

so studio's that dont want to work online in autodesk plan jut going to keep use 3ds max 2013 (or 2014) and stay with older version and autodesk is going to lose many studio's?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #33
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

On the subject of the cloud computing and connection to the internet, I found this TED talk interesting:
http://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_blu...net_really.html

Funny to think that we live in a world where one person with correct information can dig into the ground and cut a relatively thin wire which can disconnect Europe and North America, essentially causing chaos and massive loss of productivity (or gain for some). Sure, there are redundant connections but it does make you think about the future a bit. When a network connection security becomes one of your business'es most valuable assets, how will that change the economy? What kinds of new ventures will it open?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #34
wildjj
Frequenter
portfolio
James Wayne
Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by x24BitVoxel
The bandwidth costs alone would make it terribly expensive for Autodesk..

It will get cheaper. Don't forget Netflix are able to pump out on demand films for only a few dollars a month.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #35
SkylineArch
Veteran
portfolio
Mark Galbraith
Flint, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenvfx
so studio's that dont want to work online in autodesk plan jut going to keep use 3ds max 2013 (or 2014) and stay with older version and autodesk is going to lose many studio's?

Exactly, that last offline version will become a valuable license to have, but I wouldn't be shocked if that version EULA stated your license was for 1 year only, to force your hand onto the cloud.

And as stated on the first page, we too deal with sensitive data at work and can not be sending our files over the internet.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #36
sebastian___
Expert

Sebastian Andor
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
I cant imagine trying to run anything productive on a machine without any net access.

That's an easy fix. 2 computers. One powerful without internet BUT connected with cable lan. And without firewalls, antivirus and other maintenance programs using precious CPU cycles. And a second low power PC with firewall, antivirus and all - for internet research and others.
Most monitors have 2 ports in the back so you can switch with a simple button (located on the monitor) the computer. Meaning - you can use a single monitor with 2 computers.

As for the cloud computing - the best way for a company like Autodesk would be to entice customers with special features and at the same time keeping the offline option to not enrage the others.

Just to have your programs "in the cloud" as a name or because is fashionable but without any special features - would be stupid. Instead Autodesk could sell a special 3ds max Cloud connected to tens or hundreds of CPU's. Imagine the speed. That's how you convince your buyers, and not forcing them just because that's the way we do it now.

EDIT : typo costumers lol

Last edited by sebastian___ : 10-19-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #37
richardrosenman
3D Punk.

portfolio
Richard Rosenman
Director / Owner
Richard Rosenman Advertising & Design
Toronto, Canada

I have a very strong opinion on cloud-based connectivity and wholeheartedly agree with DaPaint that it will never work for many people... at least not anywhere in the near future. If Autodesk were to go strictly cloud-based, I'm confident they would lose a significant number of clients. Everyone I know in the industry (and I happen to know a lot of people) are strictly against such a policy. We are too. 100% reliance on the internet for work purposes is not feasible at this time, and I do not foresee it being there in the near future either especially outside of North America where WiFi connectivity is further limited.

Having said this, I will also present Adobe's introductory system into cloud-based computing which I think is the right way to go, if you're going to do it at all. Basically, their new system allows you to download the entire creative suite locally and then you need to connect to the internet at least once every 30 days, to continue using their software. A monthly paid subscription amounts to about $30-$50 which is actually quite a bit cheaper than buying the full creative suite. In addition, this type of system is great for smaller studios where, let's say you hire an additional freelancer to help on a project for a month, instead of dishing out another $2500 for a creative suite, you simply dish out $50. Reliance on the internet for continued use requires a single monthly connection which is very reasonable. I think this smart, affordable and user-benefit system of cloud-based computing can work and I commend Adobe for offering it as an alternative, not as a sole option.

Autodesk is certainly a company that must watch itself as it tends to piss off it's users quite often, us included. They have the monopoly so careful treading is required on their part and a brash decision such as this one can be catastrophic for them, even if they own virtually every piece of 3D software out there...

-Rich
www.cgplugins.com
www.cgsphere.com
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #38
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian___
That's an easy fix. 2 computers. One powerful without internet BUT connected with cable lan. And without firewalls, antivirus and other maintenance programs using precious CPU cycles. And a second low power PC with firewall, antivirus and all - for internet research and others.
Most monitors have 2 ports in the back so you can switch with a simple button (located on the monitor) the computer. Meaning - you can use a single monitor with 2 computers.

Exactly what I do here, it's not just viruses I don't want to deal with. I like working on a quiet machine that is a closed ecosystem, I've had my Wacom tablet drivers break with Windows updates for example which is a PITA if you are working. I only connect my work machine to the net for authorizing newly installed programs or essential updates. I use the slower machine as a test bed too for new drivers etc before I install them on my main machine.
I use two monitors and both are hooked up to both machines, so I can check my email on one machine while waiting for a render on the other, or switch both to the same machine when I want to concentrate on something.
One last advantage is that I can legally install most of the apps I use on two machines so I have a backup should one go down when I really don't need it to.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 10-19-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #39
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread