CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 10-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #16
VFX Student
Samuel Malone
VFX Artist
Originally Posted by elfufu
are you kidding me? expression over gnomon?, when i was working at tippett my brother decided he wanted to do CG, we took him to expression, did the tour, and to put it lightly i was extremely shocked by the work i saw from all the students, nowhere near gnomon quality. the facility looks like a money pitt. go to gnomon hands down, a degree is worthless crap in this field. it kinda makes me giggles when i know someone has a bachelors or masters and they work right next to my high school drop out self.

Thanks for all the responses guys. The thing is, the aspect of CG I want to get into is lighting. It seems that a decent chunk of lighting TD positions from a good number of the larger companies require a Bachelors or equivalent. I'm also pretty sure they can overlook that if you've got the portfolio and some experience.

This is my current plan:

Santa Monica College (free for me) -> transfer into USC's digital art program as a junior -> take lighting and compositing courses at Gnomon on an individual basis.

(backup plan if USC doesn't work out, CSU fullerton's animation program)

It'll take longer but I ran the numbers, and going that route (assuming I get no scholarships) will put me into less debt that going straight to Gnomon's certificate program. I'll be less in debt, and I'll have a degree. I'll just be in it for four years.

Plus on top of all this, I plan on getting a gnomon workshop subscription while I'm in school.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #17
Mike Ulloa
New York, US
There's a poster here that completed the Gnomon course and now works as a lighting TD and Bungie. I forget his name but he posts in this forum.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #18
VFX Student
Samuel Malone
VFX Artist
Yeah, that's Sanjay. I've been talking with him and he got his degree at CSU Fullerton before going to Gnomon, and his advice is to go get my degree first, and then take classes at Gnomon.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
Altamonte Springs, USA
Degree or Certificate?

It really depends. If you feel like you're ready to get into a specific industry and you have the talent and work ethic to put 100% of yourself into it, go with the certificate. If you're unsure of what you want to do or be and/or you still feel like your anatomy, perspective, storytelling, etc need a little work, don't shell out the cash for an intense program like Gnomon or VFS. You'd be wasting your time and money. You can go the degree route, or you can work on it via online tutorials from Gnomon or Schoolism or you can even do Animation Mentor a term at a time, as many people take terms off.

A degree is great to have, but if you're certain of exactly what you want to be and you have a strong foundation and work ethic, go the certificate route. Remember, certificates are not accredited, so the entire course load is relevant. Every class will further your skill set, whereas a degree will load you up and bog you down with art history, typing, algebra, etc. because they have to.

I have my AA in Computer Animation and am about to start my 2-year certificate program at Gnomon, so consider that when reading my post.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #20
VFX Student
Samuel Malone
VFX Artist
Thanks for the help! Yeah, I've decided to get my degree. I'm going to Santa Barbara City College for a year or two, and then transfer into USCs digital arts program. Afterwards I'll either attend gnomon for a few months or maybe Texas A&M for a masters in visualization.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #21
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread