CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 03-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #16
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Giving up on your dream because you can't stand the flack.
The terminal velocity of individual particles is directly related to pink rabbits on a bank holiday.
Characters, Games, Toys
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #17
Lord of the posts
render monkey
pretty picture maker
United Kingdom
If artists didn't "sell out", fanboy geeks would have nothing to get all worked up and sweaty about.

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #18
professional troll
Louis Vottero
senior modeler, rigger
Toronto, Canada
This is the problem when personal work becomes professional work. Some artists keep their integrity, most don't.

I think that's the delema, selling out but keeping the integrity of your work.

I think the Renaussance (i can't spell) artists are a good example, and that time period. All those artists had to please their employer, but they never stopped exploring and progressing their art.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #19
Chaos Rules
3D Artist
This world does not allow you to keep your pride.
It feeds daily on your dignity and is not satisfied until it scrapes the last drop of prestige from your bones.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #20
Seattle, USA
If you're doing cg for a living there is certainly no such thing as selling out because you don't own the copyrights to what you are working on anyway, well in most cases if you are a commercial artist. However if you are a copyright holder to your work you do have the opportunity to "sell out". Look at fine artist Thomas Kinkade. He is allegedly an accomplished abstract artist, but is known for his rustic realist paintings of cottages and light houses. Depending on your point of view, some say he sold out since he gave up on his abstract work. But I'm sure he's a happier person with the respect and rewards he has attained by making more acessible work. So maybe selling out doesn't have to be all that bad. On the other hand, if you make sports games ....

Last edited by polyrancher : 04-05-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #21
likes a flower =)...
Jan Mark Boekestein
Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Originally Posted by playmesumch00ns
If artists didn't "sell out", fanboy geeks would have nothing to get all worked up and sweaty about.

superficial mimetist!(kiddin')
modelling practice #1
Old 04-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #22
is losing it slowly
Jeff Baskin
Technical Support
Atlanta, USA
Selling out or Growing up?

Here's an odd thought about selling out. It may be nothing more than a generation gap between an artist and his fans. It seems to happen when the artist (but not the fans) get into their late twenties and early thirties. It's at that time in life where a person's thinking switches from conquest to security.

In your teens and early twenties, it's all about presense and conquest. People have said that kids are more willing to do something stupid because they think they are invunerable; I disagree. Those in their teens are early twenties less to lose. If I don't like my boss, I can quit my job. If I can't pay the rent, I can live out of my car. If you make a bad choice, the only person you hurt is yourself. Using the paraphrase the old quote, "Those with nothing to lose are the most free."

Now you move the same individuals and let them move into their late twenties and thirties. At this point, they have most of them have paired off with someone, and many of those have started to have children. Conquest is over. You are no longer fighting battles to win your true love, you are building a life around your true love and the family the two of you create. The present is still important, but now you also find yourself thinking of the future. Now you think about food, clothing, and housing as a constant. Now you are worried about doing something stupid. Now you about how they are going to handle things if your not there. Your decisions now affect you, your spouse, and children. Now you have something to lose.

Most artistist initially establish themselve in their early twenties. They achive the conquest of a career, and start building on that business or career. Most fans are about five to ten years younger than the artists. Therefore the fans are not yet old enough to truely understand the changes going on in the artist's life. A few simple examples. Teenagers are intested in songs about getting the girl; they are not interested in songs about keeping the wife happy. Teenagers are about how it looks, not how long it lasts. Teenagers are about getting things started, not keeping them going.

Now teenagers and those in their early twenties know these concepts of adulthood, but knowing and understanding are two different things. The artist, being older, now understands these concepts, and his work changes to reflect that. The fan, being younger, does not understand the changes, and labels it the best way he can, "selling out."

Everything that I have been talking about has been generalities. Anyone reading this forum can instantly name exceptions to everything that I have said. Since you said this was for a film project, the idea of a generation gap might give you something unique to work with.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:58 PM   #23
Put the Doo in Doofuss !
Stan Slaughter
Selling out - When an artist is doing exactly what he wants to do. Is being well paid for it. BUT it is not what total strangers think he should be doing.

That is when everyone shouts "Sell Out" !
Stan Slaughter
We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?

Old 04-07-2005, 09:27 AM   #24
I think that selling out is a term that is used when we're all younger having no real sense of what survival means, naive about life, and how business work. As you get older and more responsibilities are handed to you a sudden realization will dawn on you that if you don't start thinking for yourself, no one will. Boy meets world and is changed forever. You become a man and ideals fly out the window real fast if you're baby's crying and there's no milk. The question really is how much integrety do you have if you don't seek financial gain from your work or adapt for profit while your 2 month kid is malnutritioned, could you really say that's integrity?

Stability also influences the idea, I think. If I had nothing to lose and content with where I'm at I could easily say I'll never sell out.
latest: Digital 2D Wip
Old 04-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #25
Mojo Rizen
John Vatne
Art and Production Supervisor
Send a message via Yahoo to Mojo Rizen
There are some good points here. The three posts about this one are quite true. Age can change your perspective, and open up more understanding.

It should be remembered that success doesn’t automatically equal selling out.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #26
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread