v2014 better viewport?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #31
Thanks PelDaddy, I know all of that (also my camera animation is pretty much set in its FOV, so there's no room for tinkering there)... but others might not, so your post is much appreciated

Interestingly darthviper's suggestion of changing the viewport clipping did the trick. Setting it slightly narrower than the default settings for near and far got rid of all flickering instantaneously. Even after 15 years of working with Max, it still manages to suprise me

Old 11 November 2013   #32
Glad to hear the viewport clipping did the trick. I leave that turned on all the time, but it can be annoying in that the widget shows up in the preview animation created from that viewport...

And, sorry, I didn't realize your issue was in a camera view. I may not have read your post carefully enough. Yeah, hard to just change your FOV for your shot ;-)

My point was that a lot of the artifacts other people have been describing are likely FOV related.

Old 11 November 2013   #33
Another thing you can do to minimise Z fighting is to turn on backface culling. A lot of the time what's flickering is the rear side of objects like thin walls.

Old 11 November 2013   #34
Well, I have several very annoying busg with Nitrous in 2013 (We ahvenīt made the switch to 2014 yet, since we are in the middle of a production right now):

1. Shading busg when rotating the view in an orthogonal viewport. Which I often tend to do while modelling in a single Viewport-Layout.
2. Camera clipping in Perspektive Viewport gets messed up when exiting isolation mode. Might not be a nitrous-related Issue. Still pretty annoying always having to readjust the clipping handles...
3. Viewport Canvas. Though I rarely use it because it is slow as hell, it is sometimes still faster to quickly paint a mask or something like that.
I donīt know when this started, but in 2013 it became completely unusable, since the viewport switches to wireframe mode once i start painting. So I canīt see what Iīm doin at all...
It switches back to shaded once I exit paint mode...
4. From time to time it switches everything to wireframe mode and I canīt switch back to shaded or anything else, only restarting Max fixes that problem.
5. Very rarely everything in the viewport disappears. Other viewports still work, once again, restarting max fixes it.
6. Sometimes in edit poly mode, the mesh disappears. havenīt figured out what triggers it, i think itīs restricted to the edit poly modifier.
7. From time to time maps donīt show in the viewport. Once it happens in a scene, it seems like it canīt be fixed, i believe I even tried merging everything into a fresh scene without any luck.
This might also not be Nitrous related, might be I just hit some obscure hotkey accidentally...
8. Also not a bug, but also something I can definitely see some room for improvement:
Selecting in sub-object mode on heavy meshes can be a b**ch. Very annoying if you are trying to restrict displacement on certain areas, that are already subdivided further down the stack...

Old 11 November 2013   #35
On a sidenote:

The flickering while dragging windows around can be easily fixed by turning of aero in Windows 7 and switching to basic mode...

Old 11 November 2013   #36
I've also had that issue where it the shortcut to toggle between wireframe/shaded stops working

F3!
F3!
F3!

...dammit

Old 11 November 2013   #37
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread