FXWARS Challenge:37 - KBoom! - Wirginia Romanowska

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
lookin good,

what details can you share about the sim, that material you used for the blast, and the rendering engine you chose. Thanks.

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Allright, here are more details:

To sim I used FumeFX -> pFlow with FumeFX birth and FumeFX follow -> Frost.

One can apply any shader to frost mesh. For now I'm using gradient ramp in diffusse and self illumination channels of standard shader (gradient is set to lighting). I just added few more color keys in there to make transitions from color to color sharp not smooth - linear as this is by default. This is not final shading though. I might use something different.

All lit by one spot light, rendered in 3dsmax scanline.

I like to keep things simple, and rendering time to minimum for as long as I can...

If I finish this challenge, I would like to do "making of" or a tutorial

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Thanks for these details.

Clearly Frost is okay then for various effects, and seems useful.

Last edited by PexElroy : 03 March 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Update Woohoo!

I finally have had time to go back to this and work on simulation. I'm getting closer to the final feel. This is just the smoke (thus nothing is going on for first few frames) Fire part of the explosion will be probably separate FX.

(Click on the image to see the video)

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Love the toon look you have there, nice work on the sim too. It has a "big" feel to it!

www.nickmcelmury.com

"The best things in life are either illegal, fattening, or take too long to render."

Old 04 April 2013   #21
Just in Case you have not posted your entry: (everyone is getting this posting)

FXWARS Challenge:37 - KBoom!: Post Your FINALl Entry

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 04 April 2013   #22
Thanks for reminder Roberto, and thanks for extra time.

That was harder than I anticipated.... But I learned whole lot: It was second time I used Krakatoa for something more than a test with sphere. It was first time I used Frost. First time I rendered something with toon shading. First time I used hair and fur to do grass. First time I used MassFX. And first time I change completely whole colouring in compositing... So that was a lot of new things in relatively simple scene

I think that I spent about 2 - 3 weeks on all this - weekdays in the evenings after work, and 3 weekends - including early tests and render time.

If I have more time I would invest it in explosion/smoke simulation and add few details like birds flying off when explosion happens, few bushes around shack, maybe more interesting background. And then I would love to work more on shading. My original intention was to make shading similar to what we see in Japanese anime (for example 5 centimetres per second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6hmjeyQ8M ). But I couldn't get that working so I change concept for something simpler.

Whole idea was to see if it's possible to fake good looking 2D cartoon look by using 3d tools. How successful was that attempt? That's question for you.

Animation link: https://vimeo.com/63143512

Old 04 April 2013   #23
Here is render before colour correction:

Old 04 April 2013   #24
Kaboom

I think your final piece shows a lot of complex simulation and Cartoony style it is a solid piece of work you hve my vote

Old 04 April 2013   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread