Tank Girl type character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Tank Girl type character

Something I've been working with on the side; Tank Girl sort of a character, entirely digital start to finish, I tried out Manga Studio for the inking, it's pretty cool

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Nice! I like Tank Girl, and I think you're on your way to a cool stylish character. The only suggestion that comes to mind is maybe giving the pose a little more attitude. People always say to try and tell a story in your image, even (and sometimes especially) if it's a character design piece.

Nice pallette, too. I have a lot of trouble with subtlety myself. Oh, and I've been using Manga Studio a lot lately, too. Do you have 5? The color engine is awesome-I've actually been able to do digital painting in it!

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Hi Nathan,
Aye, posing characters is definitely something I need to work on more, they usually end up a bit stiff.
I've heard Manga Studio 5 has some interesting painting options, must give it a go.
Thanks for the comments.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
good start, is it rendered in manga studio? I have to give it a try
maybe it's just me, but I think that the legs and feet are a little big compared to her body, everything else looks great.
good luck, hope too see more.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Hi
only the inking (black outlines) were done in Manga Studio, the piece started and finished in Photoshop.
Cheers

Old 03 March 2013   #6
The anatomy/figure needs work. Her left shoulder is much wider than her right shoulder, which also makes her left upper arm seem a lot thicker too.

Her chin/jawline is lopsided.

The way you depicted her bicep/inner elbow area on her left arm looks odd. The forms aren't conveyed effectively and the structure is off. The bump at her wrist (pisiform) is too exaggerated. In fact, we probably shouldn't even see that protrusion from the front angle of the hand.

Her left lower leg is thicker than her right leg.

One of the most useful tricks that illustrators use to check the errors in their proportions is to flip the image horizontally (mirror image). Do it and you'll see all the mistakes you can't see now due to the way our brains are biased in the way it processes data from our eyes.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Thanks,
this kind of specific critique is very useful, looking again I can see you're right about the shonky anatomy in places.
I do sometimes flip my work horizontally to check things, but should do it more (setting up a hotkey would help). I also need a more solid base drawing before I get caught up with rendering.
Cheers,
Mark

Ps I see form your bio you're into photography too, so am I
www.markwilliamsphotography.com
I've found my interest in Photography has helped my art in terms of composition and lighting.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Nice to see another photographer. You can check out my photography at my website (linked below in my signature).

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Cool stuff, you've a wealth of work on your site there.
How do you find time for it all?!

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Originally Posted by mrbungle72: Cool stuff, you've a wealth of work on your site there.
How do you find time for it all?!

I pretty much live and breathe creative endeavors, and have been since puberty. It's basically my whole life (personal life and professional career), and I've made a lot of sacrifices in order to live according to my own ideals.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread