Mirror Painted Weights Error

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Mirror Painted Weights Error

I'm having trouble mirroring painted weights on my character. I'm using the biped and skin modifier. When I try to mirror painted weights, Mirror bones doesn't even work. So, I try to use mirror verts, and instead of sending my weights to the opposite side of the character -- it weights the other side of the character to the same bone. (ie If I am weighting the right ankle bone, and press past blue to green verts, it adds the left ankle as a weight to the right ankle bone. So strange! What am I missing here?

Old 06 June 2012   #2
Mirror weights works perfectly but you must have a mirroed model and a mirrored rig. Make sure that your pivot is in the center and reset the xform using the tool in the Utilities Panel. Then apply skin. If you already have skin on the model then move the pivot, reset xform, drag Xform mod below skin, in skin toggle off then on the always deform checkbox while you are at frame zero.

Old 06 June 2012   #3
Just in case:
what's your Max version showing that problem ?

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 06 June 2012   #4
I'm on 2013. I am not sure how I've never run into a need for Xform before. Honestly, I'm still not even sure what it does. When I reset the Xform with the tool under the utilities panel, it did some caddi-wonkus things to my mesh, so I'm guessing it had SOMETHING to do with it. But I also found that a couple of my bones had keys, and were slightly nudged out of place.

And also, for the next poor lost soul who comes around searching for this post -- it seems that painted weights can only be mirrored by 'mirror verts', which I had previously been unaware of. Correct me if I'm wrong on this?

Pen, thank you very much for that quick response, and you knew just what my problem seemed to be.

I've been running into some strange bugs with 2013. namely, it doesn't seem to know the difference between freeze mesh, and hide mesh. Every time I freeze my mesh, it acts as if i pressed hide.

Old 06 June 2012   #5
Ensure you don't have 'hide frozen objects' checked on the display panel.

Old 06 June 2012   #6
There are two layers of transform data in each object, when you move the pivot you are only moving one of them. Using reset xform will realign the two. The second transform is being used by the skin modifier to determine the center of the object. You should be resetting the transform on any mesh that you are going to rig. Reset xform will also realign the orientation of the pivot and remove any scaling that has occured.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
I am having the exact same problem with 2013.

Mirror mode doesnt show correct colours (blue, green).
Mirroring weights the right arm verts to the left arm bones.

I painted weights.
Didnt reset xform before skinning (after countless models who knew )
I have been adding and subtracting bones for chest animation while trying to find a config mobu will accept.

I guess it was all to much for my poor little modifier.
Thanks for the tips in this post. My character is a game model so not that many polys. I just set my skin modifier on fire and threw it out the window while it was screaming!
Start again.

Cheerio

Old 12 December 2012   #8
in max 2009 this problem occured when you remove to many bone in skin mod and when mirror mode pressed, max crashed
if this happen, just duplicate your object then add skinwarp modifier to original object. add duplicate object to skinwarp, check "Weight All Points" and convert to skin
hit again mirror mode in new skin original object, mirror works and we dont re weight skin mod form start

oh and there is other solution, you can re-add skin and bone then load previous skin with save/load skin weight in advanced parameter rollout

Last edited by muhammadfredo : 12 December 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Originally Posted by muhammadfredo: in max 2009 this problem occured when you remove to many bone in skin mod and when mirror mode pressed, max crashed
if this happen, just duplicate your object then add skinwarp modifier to original object. add duplicate object to skinwarp, check "Weight All Points" and convert to skin
hit again mirror mode in new skin original object, mirror works and we dont re weight skin mod form start

oh and there is other solution, you can re-add skin and bone then load previous skin with save/load skin weight in advanced parameter rollout

Exactly because of those crashes in Max 2009, i released a bug-fixed recompile of the Skin modifier based on the SDK sample code some time ago. I haven't had Max 2009 crash on mirrormode in skin since then...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=6&t=1056953

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Exactly because of those crashes in Max 2009, i released a bug-fixed recompile of the Skin modifier based on the SDK sample code some time ago. I haven't had Max 2009 crash on mirrormode in skin since then...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=6&t=1056953

wow, I didnt know we can re-compile max built in plugin :/
I think, I will give a try then

and happy holiday all

Old 12 December 2012   #11
I am trying to make a mirror in 3d max 2010 but i can't succeed. please help me to make it perfectly..... To see please click here

Old 01 January 2013   #12
Originally Posted by muhammadfredo: in max 2009 this problem occured when you remove to many bone in skin mod and when mirror mode pressed, max crashed

Again the same problem. The reason this is happening is because I am making changes to my setup along the way to suit new processes and for new uses. Previously rigging and skinning was just standard.

The solution with save and load sata (seems to be envelope info) blew the skinning to hell. The second solution with skin wrap worked like a dream. Cloned the model, reset xform, skin wrapped it and after transforming the wrap to skin I could mirror easily.

Big Thanks!

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread