Maya 2018 - Review: Creativity OFF - Efficiency almost ON!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2017
Originally Posted by fleabay: Please tell me what new 'creative' features you require to be more productive?

You can find a complete list of new features on this site not just from me but from tons of people, wishing to be more productive, also compearing Maya with many more efficient softwares... and for Maya to continue been competitive on this market it has to continue to adapt to users needs, and guess what, they didn´t add any of those amazing features that many thought they might add, not even 1, and thats a slap in the face of consumers, been competitive and productive its a far bigger issue than what you think abd biger than just my own wishes and dreams.

Last edited by RoccoFx : 09 September 2017 at 04:53 AM.

09 September 2017
maybe, but IMO with 2018 they "added" the accumulation of all the new features from maya 2016 and onward since maya 2018 is actually usable in production

new features are worthless if the software is buggy, unstable, or unpredictable

4 Weeks Ago
They added nothing dude....

4 Weeks Ago
don't care if they added nothing - just if they serviced what they have. Autodesk have a long history of half finishing jobs. I'm a generalist and it means that I don't have the time to mess about looking for plugins and 3rd party software so I go to maya hoping their tools work.
On my current job I needed to do some ridged body dynamics only to find the maya shatter tools are as half arsed as ever - You have to Delete history, reassign lambert shader, delete groupid, check listHistory; , hit the button  and hope.
When I was on rings I remember a conversation with alias at the time regarding implementing some plugins for studio paint into the pipeline Autodesks answer was to use their paint facility in maya - they are as delusional as ever, They fail to recognize software that is doing better or keep pace with it. When they do realize they have been beaten they leave the facility floating around wasting everyones time like some sprog they don't know what to do with - Remember maya live? Mudbox has gone the same way; they have the opportunity to put in a true linear, colour managed workflow, to compete with mari and zbrush but someone tells them to bung it in with maya - half arsed. If it wasn't for their rental/subscription policy people wouldn't bother upgrading.
If they fix and improve the half finished odds and ends they dabble with I'd be wrapped and give them the thumbs up without new features - but if they stop servicing maya hell will freeze over before I go to max.  I've suspected for a long time that Autodesk is the tombstone of good software.

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by glasseyevfx: Autodesk have a long history of half finishing jobs.
Exactly, but how a new realease is great just because it fixed past errors??? errors shouldn´t be there from start, each version should be tested enough not to include so many bugs, thats Autodesk fault, they sell you an unfinished product every year, if every year Autodesk had a quality department that actually works they wouldn´t need to focus on fixes just for one release, Maya 2018 could have focused on the future rather than on the past....

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by RoccoFx: Exactly, but how a new realease is great just because it fixed past errors??? errors shouldn´t be there from start, each version should be tested enough not to include so many bugs, thats Autodesk fault, they sell you an unfinished product every year, if every year Autodesk had a quality department that actually works they wouldn´t need to focus on fixes just for one release, Maya 2018 could have focused on the future rather than on the past....
You are in the minority and your ongoing rants about AD prioritizing bug fixes for 2018 are immature. It's a done deal, time to move on.

1 Week Ago
LOL, inmature to claim the lack of progress in a program that manny are not updating for the fear of use? just let me lough a bit.....hahahaha

1 Week Ago
yeah don't buy maya 2018. It has bug fixes and works correctly so let's all boycott this sort of thing

3 Days Ago
Originally Posted by sentry66: yeah don't buy maya 2018. It has bug fixes and works correctly so let's all boycott this sort of thing
LOL i have been getting all kinds of bugs with Maya 2018, i even created a bug report list for helping Autodesk.... and each day a new bug is reported in the forum and also in Autodesk forums, but i think the "bugs" are not the point of this by anymatter, the point is the lack of progress by focusing on bugs by not having a good testing department on Autodesk before releasing new versions, wich in fact is what acumulates alll this bugs in time.

Last edited by Bloops : 1 Day Ago at 03:00 AM.

reply share thread