Ender's Game - "Building Ender's World" - Exclusive VFX Preview (video)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
I find it interesting that several here mention not going to see a movie as to punish a man for his Mormon beliefs- they are his beliefs, I have mine, you have yours etc- they are in no way represented in the book or film nor talked about. Wired did an interview with him (it's live on their website) and he even states this obvious fact- He talks about how Being a Mormon gives him an outsider's perspective which in turn translates well for SCIFI- he in no way shape or form inserted his beliefs about gays into the book or film... anyone who has read them would know this.

He has commented to an extent that he doesn't believe in inserting homosexuality into his work because of studio/production/editorial/publish co etc influence- just like I'd imagine someone wanting to insert a homosexual scene in their work would not appreciate their publishers/editors/promoters etc removing or advising them to remove said scene.

I found his Wired interview to be very clear- He admits his religion disallows him to agree with homosexuality and then moves on from the subject even though the interviewer wants to poke and prod more regarding this.

I guarantee you there are more people with more skeletons in the closet or darker beliefs that are tied to every project but in the end by no supporting this one man you are also not supporting the entire cast and crew of the book and movie therefore not supporting this industry therefore not supporting your own industry (which applies to some here).

10 October 2013
Again, it's not about his LDS affiliation or his views on homosexuality or its inclusion/exclusion in a book or not. It's the use of the money he *makes* from these books and movie deals to actively lobby for laws to restrict and punish homosexuals. See the difference? One is keeping your personal views personal, the other is imposing your views on others by *spending money* to pass laws to restrict the rights of others. Not sure why this distinction isn't clear.

10 October 2013
Orson Scott Card Won’t Make Money Off ‘Ender’s Game’ Movie

http://www.slashfilm.com/orson-scot...ers-game-movie/

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by PorkpieSamurai: http://www.slashfilm.com/orson-scot...ers-game-movie/

I love how they say he won't make any money from the movie, then proceed to list the ways he will make money from the movie (or already made it, in this case). The resurgence in book sales would not have happened without the movie, though.

Anyway, I hope those who see it enjoy it. If it's a hit, it'll be good for the business of sci-fi movie making.

11 November 2013
Well in that case then it's money already in the bank (could it equate to more sure but...) and why not support the remainder of the ppl involved not paid or that will receive more money- I'm sure there are a few ppl associated with this project that are in fact living lifestyles against OSC's beliefs

Man if I had a dime for every time someone in Hollywood pushed an agenda (whether obviously stated or hidden) or belief on me (us) that I didn't agree with- at least to some extent he is attempting to keep his beliefs out of the entertainment medium(?) Haven't read book or seen the movie but that's what OSC claimed in an interview.

I get the feeling when I watch most SciFi flicks these days that I am getting subliminal dosages of Scientology - Oblivion and After Earth - but i still enjoyed them even though I personally believe Scientology is whack LOL (thanks Ron L Hubbard you nut)

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by CKPinson: He has commented to an extent that he doesn't believe in inserting homosexuality into his work because of studio/production/editorial/publish co etc influence- just like I'd imagine someone wanting to insert a homosexual scene in their work would not appreciate their publishers/editors/promoters etc removing or advising them to remove said scene.

In Ender's Game no. But in other work he seems to be exploring it. For example the Songmaster...

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by circusboy: In Ender's Game no. But in other work he seems to be exploring it. For example the Songmaster...

But IIRC for Songmaster specifically he was criticized by conservatives for portraying homosexuality "possibly too positively"(*).

(*) Paraphrasing their words, not mine!

11 November 2013
Okay, this is getting really tiresome. I agree wholeheartedly with people criticising Card for his controversial views on homosexuality (and other topics!) and if you decide to shun his works because of that, it's your prerogative. Fine by me, I understand it, at one point I was considering doing so myself. But it's like beating a dead horse by now, could we get back to the ACTUAL topic of this thread?

P.S. - I also hope that every person being so openly indignant about Card's views on homosexuality is an atheist (or at least an agnostic), otherwise you're just a bunch of hypocrites.

Have a nice weekend.

11 November 2013
I enjoyed the book. Happened to see the video in the OP just before seeing this thread. And read a really good piece on OSC's views just prior, here - "Stranger in a Strange Land" (caught me off guard, being a fan of the book by that name, I didn't expect it to be about Card).

Not that boycotting is being promoted here, but from that long but well-written article:

Quote: No, the main reason boycotting Ender's Game is counterproductive is that the theme of the story itself is the best repudiation of everything for which Card has come to stand.

I'll see the film.

11 November 2013
I also enjoyed the book. I mostly felt that the movie had a problem with trying to fit too much into the duration, without exploring anything in any meaningful way. Ultimately it was like a synopsis of a story, considering how good it could have been.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
It's a shame Ender wasn't shown to be thoroughly tormented in this. I like to think of the Swedish movie "Ondskan" (Evil) where that movie really put that character through horrible situations similarly to Ender (in a way), but if anything Ender should've felt it worse. In this movie he gets into trouble and within 3 seconds the trouble is dealt with and then he's crying about it, no suspense. I feel it was just too short of a format to tell it all in. Oh well, no biggie.

Stop talking about boycotting because of politics. We all do that in one way or another, however most of us manage to shut the hell up about it.

11 November 2013
Originally Posted by tuna: I also enjoyed the book. I mostly felt that the movie had a problem with trying to fit too much into the duration, without exploring anything in any meaningful way. Ultimately it was like a synopsis of a story, considering how good it could have been.

That's sort of the problem witb the novel as well, which was sort of a "beefed up" version of an original short story to begin with. The first part being a retelling of the short story and the second second part a prelude to "Speaker".

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread