AE 16bit comp to 8bit tif sequence problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
AE 16bit comp to 8bit tif sequence problem

hi,

i am new to 32 bit compositing and have been having a problem with rendering to 8bit images or videos. below is a link to a 32 bit after effects cs6 scene with a white circle on a black background. the border of the circle is blurred and the circle's opacity is set to 1 percent.

when i render an 8 bit tif from the above scene and put that image into a new 8 bit after effects project (see link), the white circle appears way darker than the original. same when rendering a video. a quicktime with png codec is included in the link below.

this only becomes apparent on very dark greys, like when rendering fog with a low opacity value. in photoshop the white in the tif image kind of looks like the original, so i guess this is some kind of color space problem?

what are the correct settings when working with 32 bit? are there any render settings i need to adjust when rendering to 8bit?

my color space in after effects is set to srgb and linearized workspace is on. depth is set to 32 bit.

http://herrschmidt.tv/ae_fog_test.zip

thanks for your help!

07 July 2013
no one? maybe my description is too confusing? sorry about that, here is another try:

when rendering 8bit images out of a 16 or 32 bit after effects project, dark greys appear way darker than in the original version. there is a link to a sample scene above, its just 3mb..

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread