Question regarding Dell pro vs consumer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Hmm, that is strange LOL. I guess I got the Technocolor CTV Monitor- perhaps that's why my laptop weighs 40 pounds?

01 January 2013
So watched a movie on mine for the heck of it and gotta say that the quality of the screen and playback was excellent.
Playing with Mudbox, Maya and Photoshop everything (Minus the fact that the 3d Menu won't load in Photoshop even after updates) runs great. Scenes with large poly counts seem more fluid than on my desktop albeit it has an older ATI 5850 card.

Looking forward to adding more memory (currently has the stock 2GB) that I ordered (32GB).

Weight is not an issue, yes it is heavy compared to my 15inch HP but it is performance wise a beast thus far. No issues with heat either even with it in my lap using mudbox- also surprised at how silent it runs even at large files.

Dam, the power brick is large, the size of a netbook LOL but a NONISSUE for me- I am still primarily using my desktop because I am in the middle of finishing a few scenes but will be transitioning to the laptop to see about using it more regularly and possibly batch rendering across both the laptop and the desktop because rendering was a bit slower but that my be more of a network issue since I pulled the Maya files across the network. More updates to come.

Haven't tried dongling the Intuos to it yet.

01 January 2013
BTW I got it working, PS 3d that is- had to redownload it from Adobe and reinstall it. Works like a charm- better than on my desktop.

01 January 2013
i'm a bit stunned that its' out performing the 5850

wow, that's very cool.

01 January 2013
For the most part YES.
I have to get my RAM installed to make sure that some things aren't RAM issues then I'll post a more complete feeling about performance- the desktop launches and runs smoother in general until 3D gets involved in PS. then it sucks and has strange glitchy behavior with the paint.

The laptop runs the 3d Fine but with such low supply of RAM will prob run slower on large files, haven't tested yet because I am waiting for the RAM to be installed before I even bother- just did some painting and what not. Will give it a real go after the RAM

Intuos works great except the cable is annoying so am after all considering getting the wireless one (5) if anyone has any input on that.

the screen OMG- I am so glad that I got the 17 incher! found out that I had to go into bios and enable lit keyboard, awesome and also maxed screen brightness and surprisingly still lasting a good amount of time. Let kids watch Brave after fooling around with MUD and it still had about 10% afterwards. Keep in mind- that was a scene in Mud with large poly and color maps- Thought RAM come into to play more with MUD but didn't seem to have an issue with it.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread