3ds Max 2013 Bone Skewing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Post 3ds Max 2013 Bone Skewing

Hello everyone. I'm having an issue creating bones in 3ds Max 2013. Whenever I try to create a vertically facing bone, the tool slides it along the X or Y axis. In other words, the program won't allow me to create vertically facing bones. Has anyone run into this problem before? I'm trying to create leg bones, but they can't be horizontal. If you're able, please offer some advice.

Thank you

12 December 2012
got a screenshot?

12 December 2012
Requested Screenshots

Here are the screenshots that you requested. Thank you for taking a look at this.
Attached Images
File Type: png BoneCreation.png (40.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: png UnintendedBoneSkew.png (21.8 KB, 11 views)

12 December 2012
Make sure snapping is not on.
Are you making bones with the bone tools?
I had problem with rotations because the pivot interpretation (next to the Reference Coordinate System tab on the top menu) was set incorrectly.

If all fails open a new scene and merge the stuff you want to keep.

12 December 2012
It looks like you're trying to create them in the Perspctiv viewport. Bones will always be created on the active grid, and for the perspective viewport, this means the XY plane. Create your bones in either a side view (left/right) or the front viewport.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Kanga: Make sure snapping is not on.
Are you making bones with the bone tools?
I had problem with rotations because the pivot interpretation (next to the Reference Coordinate System tab on the top menu) was set incorrectly.

If all fails open a new scene and merge the stuff you want to keep.

Snapping wasn't on in this situation. I'm not exactly sure what pivot interpretation is, but do you suppose that knowing how to rotate the scene while creating something may help me? How do you do that? I've always created something, then turned the view to correct it if something was off. Thanks for your help.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by Toonman2: It looks like you're trying to create them in the Perspctiv viewport. Bones will always be created on the active grid, and for the perspective viewport, this means the XY plane. Create your bones in either a side view (left/right) or the front viewport.

I started my bone at the foot and tried to extend it to the hip. The pictures were the result. Obviously the bones were nowhere near where I intended to create them. Can you not create bones in perspective? If not, how can I create them on the Z axis? Thanks for your assistance.

12 December 2012
Ja, create only in front, side or top view, then you can go to another view when you finish a branch and using bone tools in edit mode correct the placement of the bones.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by StevenL: I started my bone at the foot and tried to extend it to the hip. The pictures were the result. Obviously the bones were nowhere near where I intended to create them. Can you not create bones in perspective? If not, how can I create them on the Z axis? Thanks for your assistance.

As I explained Steven, you're using the wrong construction plane. This goes into the basics of 3D construction. Let me give you a more tangible explanation.

Stand up, and lift your hand in front of you with your index finger extended, but pointing slightly downwards. Now, let's try to figure our what you're actually pointing at. You could say something like "Well, I'm pointing at somewhere below my nose, but 50 cms in front of me". From a three-dimensional perspective, this might be true. However, in 3D applications this is not the way things are interpreted. The reason behind this is that even though you're working in a 3D space, you are doing it through a 2D view... The viewport.

If you look at your perspective viewport, and you move your mouse around, you'll notice that your mouse movement is at all times only vertical or horizontal. Therefore, this movement can only describe two coordinates, not three. In orthographics views (such as a front or right view) this is not a problem, since it is a 2D view. But for a perspective view, this is more challenging, because if you're describing two coordinates, but the space you're in uses three, which two are you actually describing?? To know which two these are, the program uses something called a "grid" (or construction plane).

The question is how to align this construction plane. And the answer was to do it in the most intuitive, familiar way possible... As the "floor" (or ground plane). This is after all where we spend all of our lives... Standing on the floor. So it's a very natural and intuitive choice.
That's what's going on. Since you're drawing on the perspective view, you're drawing everything to be on the floor. Where exactly? Let's go,back to your hand.

You thought you had been pointing at somewhere in front of tour face. However, to see things relative to the ground plane, you need to look along the length of your stretched finger. Do that. Where are you looking at now? Chances are it's some point on the ground, several feet from where you are (depending on the angle of your finger related to the ground).
So, that's how things get projected in a 3D view. Now, given all this, how would you create things that need to go above (or below) the ground? You have two choices. One, use a view that allows you to go up or down (such as the front or side views). Another choice is to define your own construction plane for a 3D view. I won't go over that here, but if you want to learn how to do this, look up Grid Helpers in the 3DS Max documentation.

To keep this short-ish, I'll say that the correct workflow to create bone chains in Max is to create them in a front or side view, and then correct their positioning in the perspective viewport using the Bone Tools (check the Docs again so you can use them correctly).
There are more things you'll need to know, but I'll leave it up to here. I'm sure you'll find more issues along the way, but IMO, that's the best way to learn. Once someone suggests a solution to those issues, you'll know exactly WHY you're doing what you're doing, and what effect it has. This will allow you to apply these solutions afterwards when you encounter similar problems. Much better that following tutorials where you arrive to a given result without knowing what you did, and more importantly, WHY you did it, to get to the final result.

I hope this explains better what you're experiencing. Cheers!

12 December 2012
Thank you

Thanks everyone. I think I understand now.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread