I have a stretched area of the mesh. Is there any way to even out the mesh?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  10 October 2012
I have a stretched area of the mesh. Is there any way to even out the mesh?

I working on a head right now, currently the eyes so I need to be able to add a good amount of detail but the area i'm working on seems to be a much more stretched section of the mesh, so whenever I add to it it's very blocky. Is there anyway to consolidate this problem. Here is a picture of the issue. Side note: I'd also rather not raise the subdivision level since I'm already at 6 and anymore is really going to start to slow down my computer.



Thanks.

Last edited by MarkNarwahlberg : 10 October 2012 at 02:49 AM.
 
  10 October 2012
This is one way of doing it. There are other methods using cloning/re-project/relax-deformation and also dynamesh and Qremesh projections but this works very well for local areas of the mesh.

  1. Set your geometry level to the highest level. For this example, let's say level 5.
  2. Store a morph target by pressing Tool: Morph Target: StoreMT.
  3. Go down 2 levels of resolution to level 3 and delete all higher levels of resolution by pressing Tool: Geometry: Delete Higher. Don't worry, your hi-rez geometry is still there because you stored a morph target.
  4. Smooth out the area you want to 'relax' with the Smooth Brush.
  5. Divide two more times to return your model to resolution level 5.
  6. Set the Tool: Morph Target: Project Morph slider to 100. This will project the morph target with the stetched polygons into your current smooth mesh. The result is a 'relaxed' mesh.
(pasted from ZBinfo)
 
  10 October 2012
Quote:
  1. Set your geometry level to the highest level. For this example, let's say level 5.
  2. Store a morph target by pressing Tool: Morph Target: StoreMT.
  3. Go down 2 levels of resolution to level 3 and delete all higher levels of resolution by pressing Tool: Geometry: Delete Higher. Don't worry, your hi-rez geometry is still there because you stored a morph target.
  4. Smooth out the area you want to 'relax' with the Smooth Brush.
  5. Divide two more times to return your model to resolution level 5.
  6. Set the Tool: Morph Target: Project Morph slider to 100. This will project the morph target with the stetched polygons into your current smooth mesh. The result is a 'relaxed' mesh.
(pasted from ZBinfo)



I utilized that method, and it probably would have worked although it kept freezing when I tried to raise the projection. I'm not sure if it's my computer or something else, but it just won't load once I raise the projection. Do you know of any other methods to relax the area? Thanks.

Last edited by MarkNarwahlberg : 10 October 2012 at 06:09 AM.
 
  10 October 2012
By the look of things, you haven't really got into heavy detailing, which means that you can just use the move brush without destroying your sculpt. Move some topology from a nearby area to even the mesh out nicely. Alternatively, if that's not possible for one reason or another, retopologize it and make sure that you give that area enough definition this time around.
 
  10 October 2012
mask the area and invert the mask and you may need to blur the mask,
then tool>deformation >relax
that should even out the mesh and keep the original shape

Last edited by informerman : 10 October 2012 at 05:21 AM.
 
  10 October 2012
Originally Posted by informerman: mask the area and invert the mask and you may need to blur the mask,
then tool>deformation >relax
that should even out the mesh and keep the original shape


For some reason I don't seem to have a relax option.

 
  10 October 2012
Originally Posted by hellspawned: By the look of things, you haven't really got into heavy detailing, which means that you can just use the move brush without destroying your sculpt. Move some topology from a nearby area to even the mesh out nicely. Alternatively, if that's not possible for one reason or another, retopologize it and make sure that you give that area enough definition this time around.


Does Zbrush have retopo tools or would I need an outside program?

Edit: Nevermind that, I just figured out how.

Last edited by MarkNarwahlberg : 10 October 2012 at 03:35 AM.
 
  10 October 2012
your using a older version of zbrush is why you dont have relax
and zbrush has a good retopo called QRemsher in zbrush 4r4
http://youtu.be/p1RE4z7p09I
 
  10 October 2012
Originally Posted by informerman: your using a older version of zbrush is why you dont have relax
and zbrush has a good retopo called QRemsher in zbrush 4r4
http://youtu.be/p1RE4z7p09I


Ahh alright. Well I think the computers at my school have Zbrush 4 so maybe I can retopo there and then reimport.
 
  10 October 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.