Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
CGHut
portfolio
United Kingdom

[Adobe Premier] How can I use cursor keys to move clip position

Hello guys,
I'm doing the switch from Sony Vegas to Adobe Premier, so far its going great.

A possibly simple question, how can I use the cursor keys to move a clip's position?

In other words: When you click on a clip in the timeline the effect's control opens up. Then when you click the "Motion" panel a frame of your clip appears in the preview window. Is it possible to use your cursor keys to be able to move the frame around, rather than having to use the mouse?

Please let me know if it's possible and if so how? Thank you in advance! ^^

Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
capt chuck
Frequenter

This works in CC version, I don't think it works in earlier versions: Double click on the clip in the program monitor to go into direct manipulation mode (you'll see the outline and you can drag it with the mouse). In that mode the arrow keys work. Note that if you have multiple clips stacked vertically, you may have to lock the clips you aren't interested in to be sure the double clicking selects the clip you want.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
CGHut
portfolio
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chuck
This works in CC version, I don't think it works in earlier versions: Double click on the clip in the program monitor to go into direct manipulation mode (you'll see the outline and you can drag it with the mouse). In that mode the arrow keys work. Note that if you have multiple clips stacked vertically, you may have to lock the clips you aren't interested in to be sure the double clicking selects the clip you want.

Hope this helps.

Hi Capt Chuck,

Thanks for the reponse, it seems like I wouldn't be able to do it : ( I have CS6. I guess I'll resort to using dynamic linking with AE. Unless, you know of any other possible work arounds?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
CGHut
portfolio
United Kingdom

Possible Work Around

Possible work around that I came up with (Requires numpad!):

1) Press left shift + alt + Numlock

A window will open up asking if you want to enable mouse keys.

2) Click "Yes"

Now that you have mouse keys enabled you can use your numpad as a mouse! Using this technique you can move your mouse with pixel precision (1 pixel/button press). In other words, just like using your cursor keys to move the frame in Sony Vegas : ).

Controls:
Movement:
(With Numlock on)
↑ = 8
↓ = 2
← = 4
→ = 6
↖ = 7
↗ = 9
↘ = 3
↙ = 1

Clicks:
Left Click = 5
Right Click = +
Left click and hold = 0

How to use it with Premier:
(mouse keys enabled)
When you get the frame of the clip up by double clicking the frame put your mouse over the frame and then press 0 on your numpad, this will work as left clicking and holding the frame. After that use the other numpad keys to move the frame around as you wish. When you're finished, press 5 on your numpad to left click, which will release the frame.

Well that's all I know for the moment. I hope this helps someone ^^ It may be too much effort for something so trivial, but if you really need to have pixel precision because of the way you edit, then it may be worth while : )

Note: I've only tried this with one PC, results may vary.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread