gimbal lock

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2002
gimbal lock

I am curious to what is the downfall to using locally based co-ords on bones such as the thigh bone and the upper arm. It avoids gimbal lock (right?) so is there a downfall as well otherwise you would think that it would be the default setup. Just curious.
  11 November 2002
There should be no downfall.....I use Record Pivot Rotation to fix Gimbal Lock all teh time....
William "Proton" Vaughan
  11 November 2002
Thanks proton,
and thank god for record pivot point rotation I forgot that rotation based on the local co-ords is still calculated through the parent co-ords, so does that mean you can still have gimbal lock when things are controlled by local co-ords? Also, does it become difficult editting channels when local coords are used, i can kinda seehow it could be, but haven't worked on any big project with LW yet so I have yet to run into any hair pulling situations of this sort.

Thanks again
  01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread