NET render noob questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
NET render connection question

Hi,

I couldn't find a NET-render faq so I try it here.
I'm considering setting up a renderclient (a Macmini (or 2) probably so I can use it for other stuff too).

Questions regarding netrender:

1 Can I render from my main workstation to the client, so only the client is rendering?
2 Can I render a stereoscopic picture where both channels are on a different machine?
3 When rendering a large still, how is the final image put together again, automatic?
4 What do I need to install on the client? Also the complete project, or is everything managed from the main workstation?

Thanks in advance!!

odo

Last edited by ooo : 03 March 2013 at 08:07 AM.

02 February 2013
You need to send your entire project folder to a computer running Net server (which itself can also run Net client). Net server then parcels out the job to as many other computers that you have running Net client. If you don't install, or dont launch Net client on your main workstation, then Net Server will not activate your main computer as a render node.

There is a tiled camera preset for C4d (which splits your large image into frames that can be rendered on Net) and a tiled render script for photoshop.

I am running the exact set up your are asking about. The minis make great render boxes for mac users. Sorry I have no experience with stereo.

02 February 2013
Thanks for your reply Andrew. I think this already answers a lot of my questions.
One more question. What about plugins. Do they need to be installed on the client too?

Thanks again!

odo

02 February 2013
All plugins need to be installed on the net clients. So you'll need to check on each developer's license requirements, as not all provide free Net installs and you might need a separate license for Net. Also only C4d Studio will allow unlimited Net clients.

02 February 2013
Thanx again. I have Studio so that's no problem. Plugin's I have quite a lot, but not all of them are needed for rendering. I'll have to check.

odo

03 March 2013
So I finally installed Net on my MacPro and one MacMini. I put the server on the MacPro aswell as a client. And the MacMini as a second client. All on a local network (Wireless).

When I want to use both clients one of them will not connect because of a TCP/IP problem: port may be in use. So that happens dependent on the client that is activated last. I found several threads on this issue but no real answer for me. Guess it got something to do with the router (Airport). I also tried with different ports instead of 8080 and disabled firewall and to use the Firewire networkconnection, but that gave the same error all the time.

I'm on a tight deadline, so I switched back to classic rendering now, but hope to solve this for a next project. Any clues?

R14 Studio

Thanks, odo

Thread Closed share thread