Particle Age Material - Ageing only in a 2nd Event.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Particle Age Material - Ageing only in a 2nd Event.

Hey guys, there is a way to make the Particle Age Material start and stop inside a specific event? The particles are entering there independently, not all at the same time.

Just to make it clear:

I have a 3 Events flow. In the 1st one i have a deflector that sends all ther particles gradually to a 2nd one.

I want all the particles to be blue in this 1st event, then in the 2nd one I want it to change from blue to red and then in the 3rd Event I want the particles to keep red.

Thank's!

Particle-Skull.com

07 July 2013
Sure just reset the particle age when it enters the event. A simple script operator or even simpler Data Op will do the trick. You can manipulate almost all particle data to fit your needs. Most of the time is is really a trivial thing to do and doesn't take much more than a basic understanding of particle data. The most useful are Particle Age, second is speed, third position, ect. as you go further up the data chain so increases the complexity. Even at a single one channel level you have a ton of control to do 10x more that you ever could with vanilla pflow.

See example, toggle on/off the script and data ops in event002. The data is set display.
Attached Files
File Type: zip max2013_PF_NewEvent0Age.zip (27.7 KB, 12 views)

07 July 2013
Awesome, just did it

Thank's again buddy!

Particle-Skull.com

07 July 2013
Just one thing,

(if it's not asking too much)
Can you explain me what's going on inside de data operator?

The Imput Standard set to New in Event means that this data will star in this event? Otherwise it can start in the beggining of the simulation?

The Scalar means that it's going to scale up my values? Time values in this case.
If I set the time value to 30, it will start on 30, right?

I guess the output standard set to Particle Age is preety obvious.

Thank's

Particle-Skull.com

07 July 2013
New in Event is connected to the Boolean of the Scalar. This means only do this when a particle has just arrived in the event and do it only once. So when a particle just arrives its New In Event status is true for the first integration step, after that it is false.

To explain the "Boolean of the Scalar". Almost all sub-operators have this boolean input on the right side. It is a switch that allows the sub-op to "due its duty". If nothing is connected it is always regarded as "true" or "on". So no only can you wire a New In Event to it, you can use any boolean condition or state. Another example; if a particle is traveling so fast then do this.

So without this New In Event hooked up (disconnect it and watch the values during playback) the Scalar will constantly set the Particle Age to 0, instead of what we want and that is once. Make sense?

Yes, if you change the Scalar value to 30 it will set the particle age to 30.

It is all really pretty straightforward once you get past the intimidation factor and understand that particles have properties (ie data channels)

07 July 2013
Thumbs up

Everything makes sense.

I started study data operators only a few weeks ago e untill now i kinda had no idea about what i was doing. With this explanation and this example everything got way clear.

Thank's man

Particle-Skull.com

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread