Mari 1.6 now out with added flow, glow and AMD

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by leigh: Agreed. This is generally the first piece of advice I give people who want to learn Mari. It's an entirely different beast, but when you put in the time to learn it, you'll find it's even more rewarding and intuitive than Photoshop for texturing.

I have been using 3d paint for a LONG time now...Amazon,Flesh, Deep Paint , Body Paint, Zbrush and Mudbox, I only use PS to touch up things, but I think a layers are easier to use than dealing with a multi channel shader. I was just really surprised that that when MARI came out there was not what I consider to be nessasry feature. Mari does so many things so well, I just think its lack of layers makes it clumsy for some tasks. I don't want it to be photoshop...I just want layers, every thing else in MARI is awesome.

12 December 2012
I'm an Nvidia man and I don't yet use Mari - although sooner or later I'm going to have to take the plunge, since I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen.

But I just want to say it's really nice to see people developing graphics software that specifically supports gaming cards, and not insisting you have to have a "pro" card or else you're SOL.

Nice move.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by twosheds: I'm an Nvidia man and I don't yet use Mari - although sooner or later I'm going to have to take the plunge, since I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen.

But I just want to say it's really nice to see people developing graphics software that specifically supports gaming cards, and not insisting you have to have a "pro" card or else you're SOL.

Nice move.

Thank you. We've worked really hard to make Mari much more inclusive. When we launched Mari would only really run on Quadro cards, but we've put a lot of work into supporting very affordable games level hardware.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by forelle: I'd like the statue though. Maybe on the empty plinth in Trafalgar Square.

An idea for the next contest maybe? Sculpt and paint Jack in Modo & Mari.

Looks like a great update! Well done guys!

12 December 2012
on Macbook pro

Anyone try it on Macbook Pro hardware using Windows or Linux yet? My biggest disappointment was seeing Apples minimal support of pro level 3D hardware when I bought my macbook pro a few years ago, but seeing as AMD is now supported, here's hoping..

I know you can't say, but some of us are biting at the bit for a native OS X version. Again, I'm guessing it's Apple's doing and not yours for the delay.

01 January 2013
Thread necromancy! Yay.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fx...n-mari-and-hdr/

FxGuide have just posted a really cool video of Scott Metzger showing off some HDR workflow in Mari. All of the tools we developed (and shown in the video) shipped as standard with 1.6.

Enjoy.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by forelle: Thread necromancy! Yay.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fx...n-mari-and-hdr/

FxGuide have just posted a really cool video of Scott Metzger showing off some HDR workflow in Mari. All of the tools we developed (and shown in the video) shipped as standard with 1.6.

Enjoy.

LOL, you're not making it easy on me trying to put off buying Mari.

01 January 2013
Originally Posted by twosheds: LOL, you're not making it easy on me trying to put off buying Mari.

The easiest way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread