CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Benzin
Frequenter
Dejan
Pale, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Question for ncloth experts... Mr. Duncan?

Hmmmm, how to start... well for the beginning Maya is not my primary program... I have experience with cloth simulations in Max principles are similar, but Ncloth is (in my humble opinion) far superior compared to Max's cloth.
So I have 2250 frames of character animation made in Max, with few hundred frames of him standing still in T pose at the beginning. Skin of a character has about 10 000 polygons (all quads) and it has been cached in the single XML file weighting about 750 MB.
It has been transferred to Maya in FBX format and cache works pretty well, now it's time for cloth simulations. First odd thing is if I transfer pieces of wardrobe (i.e. french hat, sweater and trousers), nothing too complicated in modeling area... pretty light models... as FBX in Maya, their mesh is triangulated, no i did not check that option in FBX export options... skin preserves quads, wardrobe- not , I must add that modeling pipeline was the same for the character and the wardrobe!
So I had to transfer them as, OBJ... no problem, quads are here. So I decided to first simulate the french hat, smallest number of polygons, easiest to setup!
I must admit my computer is a 4 year old clunker, core 2 duo 2.6 Ghz, 4 GB of RAM, Win XP Pro SP3.
Setup of the french hat goes nice, first i wrapped it to the character, painted input attract values, scene scale, all those steps I red about in many tutorials... simulation itself, i.e. during ncache writing to HDD (a file for every frame), goes pretty smooth for this poor computer of mine... hat is holding nicely, not too many penetrations, nothing extreme what a few parameters changes couldn't fix, processors are at 65-75% , RAM usage is about 38 %, everything goes well until the frame number 2231... then Maya crashes... drops like a stone... each time... same frame exactly! Here's the best part... it happens in both Maya 2010 and 2013 with SP2.
It reports Kernel errors in case of 2010 and appcompat error in 2013. What is wrong? Too weak computer? Windows error? I have no viruses for sure... Bad cache on character skin? I'm slowly sinking in despair...

Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Duncan
Expert

Duncan Brinsmead
Principal Scientist
Autodesk
Canada

It is hard to say what the cause is. Perhaps it could be running out of memory. Or perhaps the cache file is getting too large if you are using a single cache file.(if that's the case use cache file per frame) Or it might simply be hitting some corrupt memory or data.

You might try caching to just before the problem frame... say to 2220. Then try to finish the simulation using append to cache.... after saving, restarting Maya and reloading the scene.

If it still crashes on the append, you could try eliminating bits of the simulation to find what causes the crash. (for example disabling constraints or individual cloth objects)

Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Benzin
Frequenter
Dejan
Pale, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Solved... my mistake, although this looks like no real reason for maya to crash after all... it turns out that my skin cache from Max was 2330 frames long, while my time setup in solver was 2350 frames long, so when skin was left without its cache Maya crashed... although last pose of the character is same those measly 20 frames and the cloth is only settling down.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread