ian27
Wannabe 3d Graphic Artist
portfolio
Ian Moran
ESL Teacher
Perth, Australia

Derelict House Revamp - Lighting And Background Plate Advice Needed

Hello again guys,

Another revamp... I'm trying to finish some unfinished pieces of work that have been lying around in my personal projects folder for an eternity. This is where I am at the moment with this house project. I'm pretty happy with the modelling and texturing, but I'm struggling with the lighting. I'm using Maya 2012 and Vray.

For the lighting of this exterior scene I only used a Vray Dome Light, and attached an HDRI texture to this and cranked up the intensity to use this for my indirect illumination, and they simply used the Vray Sun for the direct sunlight. I couldn't get the HDRI from the dome light to scale correctly for the background so I added a sphere around the whole scene, and attached the same HDRI to it, in addition to turning off the receive and cast shadows options under the sphere object's render stats. This was just for testing purposes.

I'm now looking at it and I'm thinking that maybe it's better to render the image without a background plate, and to composite a different background plate onto it in Photoshop or Nuke. How do you guys normally find solutions to this? Do you normally render without backgrounds included, and then simply composite one in later? Do you use different background plates than the HDRI texture used for your indirect lighting? And how do you normally composite it all back together again?

And what about the lighting? Any comments, criticisms or suggestions are most welcome...

Thank you for your time...

Ian Moran

House Front View

House Back View

Old 01-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

You can try to add higher grass and some random on the "road". Maybe add planks on some windows (like on top of the windows and randomly place).

For me I composite the background in Nuke/Photoshop. Save some render time of the main part of the image.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Drakaran
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Stacey Moss
USA

Probably have lighting problems because, in the back shot, I see shadowing of the field. Most likely there is a cloud that is just starting to occlude the sun.

You could always try adjusting the hdri in photoshop, especially if you are only going to shoot from the front of the house.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
ian27
Wannabe 3d Graphic Artist
portfolio
Ian Moran
ESL Teacher
Perth, Australia

A quick update:

Trying to finish up an old scene. Iíve tried another render using an overcast daylight HDRI, and a very subtly vray sun. Generally, I like the feel of it. But any advice or criticisms at this point?

Iím a bit happier with the ivy now, but I think the leaves on the tree in the foreground still look a bit plasticy and artificial. Also, Do you think it needs a bit more light coming from the main direct sunlight to give the image a bit more focus?

reply share thread