CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
what's the best college for VFX TD or even R&D in the US?

I come from a engineering background. I am able to learn those difficult technical theory. I'm now in a Art college which provide vfx mfa degree. It's far behind the industry standard......So I do wanna know what the best college for VFX TD or even R&D is in the US. Don't tell me there's none......
Old 04-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Philip E.A. Nguyen
Philadelphia, USA
Off the top of my head I would highly recommend Texas A&Ms Visualization department.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:22 AM   #3
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA
Yeah, A&M is gonna be hard to beat. They do some interesting original research, but they're also going to prepare you to drop right into a studio after graduation, while most other colleges really only do one or the other. Still (just off the top of my head; this isn't anywhere close to a comprehensive list), U.C. Berkely, USC, Carnegie Mellon, Brigham Young, and MIT are all worth looking at.

It might help to take a look at what universities submitted papers to SIGGRAPH.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
Ria Ambrose
VFX Admin
Lost Boys Studios
Vancouver, Canada
I would recommend Lost Boys -School of VFX. We offer two programs one with a compositing focus and the other with an FX TD focus. We teach what the industry wants and our placement rate an happy alumni prove it.

I should mention that we are graduating an FX TD class this week and two of the students also had engineering training. They both mentioned that they thought it was beneficial to their FX studies but not nessecarry.

Here are those two reel

Feel free to message me with any questions you may have. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by RiaFX : 04-14-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Adding FXTD
Old 04-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Alembic Destroyer
Kurt Williams
Ace Tomato Company
San Francisco, USA
Texas A&M and Prudue have good programs.

Meaning you will learn how to write your own software and shaders, a few friends of mine graduated with their own demo reels but also showed work generated with their own rendering engine. One had a siggraph paper submission even before entering the industry.

If you have a math/science/engineering background thats the route I'd go.

I'd stay away from the for profit colleges that just teach software. If you can program, you are already immediately more valuable in that you can write custom tools. Either that or do one of those software courses after you get your CompSci/Graphics degree out of the way.

The industry goes up and down, once you get sick of VFX you can always go work for Google/Nvidia/etc.
reply share thread