Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The sense of form and volume on his shirt doesn't read very clearly. The overall form reads more like a boxy shape than a torso shape, due to the values being a bit flat on average and not conforming to the figure as much as it should (for the sake of better clarity in readability). The lower/left area is particularly problematic because it is so overexposed and have no more information left to discern form and volume.

This is something a lot of my more advanced students overlook, because it doesn't get mentioned often enough in art critiques. Readability is very important, and often, you need to exaggerate or simplify in order to make certain shapes and forms read better (both at the micro level for detail, as well as at the macro level for composition).

Old 02-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

The shirt doesn't read very clearly. That was my intent (it's not the focus). Boxy? I would call it chiseled.

This is something a lot of my more advanced students overlook? O.k. Really?

edit: overexposed and have no more information left to discern form and volume. O.k your just messing with me.

Last edited by rownd : 02-05-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I did a quickie paintover to show you what I meant.

The left/bottom part of the shirt has the highlight totally overblown to just a mass of white, which eliminates all information about form and volume, and that also contributes to the boxy feel of the entire shirt. The top overexposed area on the left also contributes to this too. (Both areas highlighted in green.)

And the boxy feel isn't referring how the "chiseled" look of the clothing wrinkles, or even the overall contour of the shirt. It's about the illusion that there are two flat planes--one in the front, and one on the side (outlined in magenta), and the the shirt doesn't conform enough to the organic shape of the soldier's torso, which isn't a boxy shape with flat planes, but with defined muscles and rounded corners.

In the paintover, tried to restore the overblown highlights so that form/volume reads clearly, and I also tried to accentuate the organic shape of the torso under the shirt, so the shirt looks like it's conforming to the torso a bit more naturally. It helps to alleviate the boxy look.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #19
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

I think your reaching on this. It's like critiquing just for the sake of it. I'm puzzled by it. I mean this piece has been here awhile to the point it was on the second page. I know you panned over it before because you commented on the posts around it (a week ago). You would have to have gone looking for it.

I appreciate your commenting, I just don't see how your suggestions make it a stronger piece.

Also please don't think I'm one of those artists that thinks he's always right. You have commented on my wips before and give me some valid advise.

Sorry if I'm coming off as rude. It's not my intent. My dyslexia keeps my comments short and to the point.

Last edited by rownd : 02-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #20
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rownd
I think your reaching on this. It's like critiquing just for the sake of it. I'm puzzled by it. I mean this piece has been here awhile to the point it was on the second page. I know you panned over it before because you commented on the posts around it (a week ago). You would have to have gone looking for it.

I appreciate your commenting, I just don't see how your suggestions make it a stronger piece.

Also please don't think I'm one of those artists that thinks he's always right. You have commented on my wips before and give me some valid advise.

Sorry if I'm coming off as rude. It's not my intent. My dyslexia keeps my comments short and to the point.

No worries. As individuals with different taste and style and artistic sensibility, we have different things we are sensitive about when we look a piece of artwork. For me, the more experience I gain, the more attention I pay to the readability of forms and volumes, because I have noticed it's something that a lot of artists don't pay enough attention to--they sort of gloss over the whole readability aspect of their images and often either focus too much on the micro or macro aspects, but not the range in-between, which is often where the readability problem comes in.

But just because it's something I'm sensitive about doesn't mean it's what you would place any importance on. I'm pointing it out not just to critique for the sake of it--there are plenty of WIP's that I don't comment on because I don't see anything to comment on. I pointed it out because it is a good piece of work, and the weakest aspect of it jumped out at me right away, and I commented because I'm trying to be helpful. It's okay that you don't agree, and maybe others reading the thread will learn about the importance of readability in form and volume.

I commented on the other threads around yours because I simply didn't click on yours during my last "sweep" through the postings. Fingers do slip sometimes, and you miss one (or end up clicking on the same thread twice). I do take my responsibility as a Forum Leader seriously, so I do periodic sweeps to help out as many people as I can, and if I missed a thread in a previous sweep, I'll make sure I get it the next time. I can't predict how different people will respond to the critiques, so I can only go with what I think they could benefit from, and if they don't agree, then hopefully others reading the thread can learn something from it.

I spend hours giving critiques and answering questions during these sweeps--time I could be spending on any number of other things in my life, such as writing my novels, doing my own paintings, composing music, teaching my workshop, snuggling with the Mrs., watching movies, playing games, etc. I personally have benefited a lot in my younger days from helpful online critiques in forums, and some of my most significant artistic development came out of those online critiques (and some of the critiques I didn't agree with ended up helping me the most, because they made me aware of things I didn't pay enough attention to when I was caught up in my own tunnel-vision), so I'm just trying to give back to the community in the same way.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Thanks for taking the time. I do understand as artist we all have our own vision. Also that we become so close with a piece we're working on that we don't see things that others do. Knowing this I also feel as artist we are always learning. Anyone that feels they are beyond that is missing out on there full potential. I personally did not want to have it look like he was running into the wind (The t-shirt would then cling more to his torso). I don't see it as a flaw, just a choice.

I see a lot of wips here that I wouldn't even know how to start with a critique. The fact that you do I find amazing. I always assumed you have a vested interest in this website. If not…they should give you a cut of the action because you have put a lot into these wips.

Last edited by rownd : 02-05-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
ZombieMariachis
Frequenter

portfolio
Josh Hass
JoshHass.com
Owasso, USA

Fantastic work!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
BillyWJ
Frequenter
portfolio
William White
www.FusedArts.com
Katonah, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rownd
Thanks. I use a HD. The touch looks interesting. I have not tried it but if the pen to screen has a better interaction and you have the money. I would go for it.

This piece came out very, very good!

I went for it and got the 24HD - the touch features honestly looked like too little for the extra $1000. I LOVE this HD, it's an amazing piece of technology, and it's already changed how I work for the better! I don't regret a penny of the purchase, I should have done this a while ago, lol. The story of UPS trying to deliver it is a story in itself, the driver was a bit intimidated by the box, they don't ship it flat anymore, the box is huge.

One thing, if you could, maybe on your next piece, is to show how you do the flesh tones, step by step. You have a very strong technique that I think a lot of readers here could benefit from seeing how it's done?

Also, how about a look at your brushes? I'm redoing my brushes on the HD, my old ones don't work as well, now that I have so much more to work with. I've been thinking a stickied thread on brushes would be a good idea anyway.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Thanks Guys.

I need to really check out the HD. Flesh tones I'm still trying to figure out, in fact color in general. I have guidelines I try and follow but sometimes those go right out the window. The only big one is stay away from the black slider as a color darkener. Unless you have a black background…even then.

Ha.. brushes, I did a screen capture for my facebook the other day. A lot of them are more for graphic projects. I used the flat watercolor on the Runner.

FYI... thanks Lunatigue now all I see is haphazard folds in a T-shirt with to hard of an edge lighting.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread