Rokoko SmartSuit mocap fix

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Rokoko SmartSuit mocap fix

Hello.I have a mocap issue that I hope can be fixed.In the attached 5fps QT, please note the selected right foot. It slides.

The left foot is mostly OK, and can be lived with.

My question: is there a way to connect the right toe and the ground plane, so that the right foot has real traction, and have the entire rig be affected accordingly? (so that it moves properly as the character runs)

Note: this was mocap from the Rokoko SmartSuit. Iíve been told they know about this bug, and are working to fix it.

Thanks.

Tom

Sample: ††https://youtu.be/6dkwJCou2GE

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
In C4D you can use the motion clip system in combination with a pivot.

You can then change the pivot of the animation to the left or right foot to make it the root of the motion for each step.

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
If you've got a Cineversity Premium account this video series elaborates on @EricM's post:†https://cineversity.com/vidplaylist...n_pivot_objects

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Thank you, Eric and Donovan.

I do have a Cineversity Premium account, and have been researching the issue there. Pivot Objects are my first go-to, but we have 5 mocaps to clean up, and hand animating them is problematic. We're looking into other, non-C4D options.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
If your motion capture is wonky, there's no magical way to fix it. It will need manual labour either way.

In motionbuilder you'd have to cut the motion clip as well for each step, and then alternatively choose "align with right foot" and "align with left foot".

It's maybe a bit faster than setting setting the pivot once and then a keyframe for each step, but not by much. And that supposes you have mobu, which isn't cheap at all or even very intuitive to learn.†

A cheaper alternative is iclone7 + 3Dexchange pipeline. It's licensing Autodesk's HumanIK solver (the same as Motionbuilder or Maya) so it works about the same but at a much lower price (still around $500 for the whole package). The workflow between the different apps is a bit more convoluted though, but it's an interesting entry level package to edit mocap.

You can try also ikinema webanimate. The interface isn't great and a bit crashy (it used to be web based, but now it's on desktop) but the retargeting and autocleaning solver is awsome for mocap (better than Mobu imho). It's really worth checking because while the NLE and pivot work great in C4D, retargeting in C4D is near impossible (the tag is useless), so you need to retarget outside and import your motions "ready to go" in C4D.

At last you have Daz Studio (free) + animate plugin ($59). †It can also slice animation blocks and decide whether you should start the motion on the right or left foot, but it's more limited, so I don't know if it's going to be able to fix your specific problem. It's the cheapest route though.

But as I said, all of them require a learning curve and an extra investment, so if you're in a hurry, stick to pivot and C4D and you'll be done sooner. In the long run, though, you can explore those routes.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Originally Posted by tomdeco:
Note: this was mocap from the Rokoko SmartSuit. Iíve been told they know about this bug, and are working to fix it.

Hi,

did you record the mocap using the Rokoko SmartSuit or is it a sample provided by Rokoko? I have been thinking about getting one, but wanted to wait for some real-life-results or independent reviews. Whats your opinion on the Smart Suit so far?

all the best e

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
The mocap is from our SmartSuit. We are an early adopter, and that may have been a mistake. We're spending all weekend fixing things.

I'm sure they'll get things sorted out. The tech is sound, they just need to get the software dialed in. They (Rokoko) are very attentive and responsive.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
EricM, thanks so much for all the info. Lots there I didn't know.

We're going the C4D route, although we have MotionBuilder. The animation will be one in C4D, and we're going to keep it in that pipeline.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
@tomdeco
Thanks! It a really promising tech. i will jump on board as soon as the product is a little bit more tested. Keep us informed!

bye e

reply share thread