Blacksmith Shop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2017
Blacksmith Shop

Hello! It's my first post here but I followed this forum for the least couple of months, I could always find some threads about some problems I also had with Maya.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you my last workpiece, I've started my 3d studies relatively recently, around February, this year, and I have still a lot to learn.
My ambition is to reach the VFX industry.

Anyway, modelled, textured and rendered in about 15 days.
For the textures I used maninly Quixel Suite, for the decals I used photoshop over a composed render.
Rendered with Mental Ray and used all MILA materials.

I would like to thank in advance any possible feedback

Blacksmith Shop

05 May 2017
Really impressive work for just been around a couple of months. The models and textures look good. I think that you allready have pretty much everything to make a good image, but in my opinion is lacking a main focal point. Right now it looks a bit flat, my eye jumps from one element to the other without a direction. The global ilumination doesn't help much either.
Cheers

05 May 2017
Originally Posted by BasAritz: Really impressive work for just been around a couple of months. The models and textures look good. I think that you allready have pretty much everything to make a good image, but in my opinion is lacking a main focal point. Right now it looks a bit flat, my eye jumps from one element to the other without a direction. The global ilumination doesn't help much either.
Cheers

Thank you!.
Yeah, you're right, I tough of those problems while I was building the image alltogheter, at some point I actually wanted to put a person working on the anvil that would have taken more attention to the fact that is Indeed a living shop. I still could try to put one but charaters are not my strong point.
For the lighting also you're right, It's too bright overall to be what is supposed to be a medieval shop and there are the torches and the fireplace that are wonderfull for moody lighting, but I was hoping to find a way to set up light passes for Mental Ray (like Vray does) and adjust everything with photoshop or even nuke (I'm learning it right those days) but to no avail yet..

05 May 2017
Here's the latest update, it's much more moodier

reply share thread