Appartment interior

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Appartment interior

Hey guys,

I'm making an appartment interior for my portfolio.
I'm looking for critique and or idea's on all aspects to improve this image.
I know it has some artifects but I rendered it with low settings.
It's done in Modo 601 and post in PS.

Thnx in advance

08 August 2012
Cool render,

but I can see your pillow levitate in the air.

08 August 2012
Thnx Scote for the reply.

Here's an update, pillows are fixed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bloemenvaas5_web.jpg (89.9 KB, 4 views)

08 August 2012
I normally do not see outlets that high on a wall. I guess it possible and perhaps you have one that high, but typically its like 1 foot to 16 inches off the floor.

Just did a quick google search and found this: Height for Installing Switches and Outlets Copied straight from that website:
The average height for outlets is 12 inches from the floor to the center of the outlet box, and the average height for light switches is 46 inches from the floor to the center of the switch box. The actual height can be adjusted somewhat, especially if a home is being remodeled where the elevations of the switches and outlets will need to match other existing outlets and switches

08 August 2012
Hi 3DRenderer, thnx for the reply.
Here in The Netherlands, that is a common highed. About 90cm / 1m (35 / 40 inch) above the floor. I'm making this from a reference with some adjustments.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by remonv83: Here in The Netherlands, that is a common highed. About 90cm / 1m (35 / 40 inch) above the floor.

Ish, It's destroy a classic look. But I like it, I didn't take attention

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by remonv83: I'm making this from a reference with some adjustments.

To give you more feedback and help, it would be nice to see the comparison between the too. You mind sharing you reference?

08 August 2012
Thnx guys I appreciate the help, I'll make a photo tomorrow of my reference and post it here. Btw I don't have to stick to the reference at all, in the end I just want to make a nice render for my portfolio

08 August 2012
I'd say leave it where it is. It breaks up the scene a bit and makes it more interesting. Otherwise you might get the feeling that something is missing. Have you tried rendering it without the socket and maybe doing a side by side comparison?

And as a fellow Dutchman, I can vouch for the socket being that high.

the second version of the image is much better. Very realistic.I like the change to the DoF, but I think that the refraction of the vase is maybe a bit too much (though I'm just going on a hunch, and could be wrong ofcourse). Maybe you could try to add some chromatic aberration to give it that little extra.

08 August 2012
Thnx Snipes, there's some CA on both images. Maybe I have to give it a little bit more CA, gonna try that for sure.
The first image is without the socket and I like it better when there is. Indeed it breaks up the image and it adds some detail.

The couch need a little bit more love though

I've attached my reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reference2.jpg (69.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by remonv83 : 08 August 2012 at 09:07 AM.

08 August 2012
I think this looks really nice. If I need to nitpick, I would say the sofa & pillows still looks too 'hard' or stiff.

The magazine on the desk can be placed better. Right now, it seems to look like something popping out from the table (incidentally same white color). I would have part of the book over the edge or something.

My biggest critics (not really a critics), is that while, from a self practice point of view, its perfectly fine, but in these days of technical advancement & shear number of good artist, something like the interior design need to be not just realistic, but also special/unique to stand out.

Just look at the number of quality artworks on the fininshed section that gets few critics to even no critics, to get an idea how high the bar have raise.

At the moment, this interior looks a little flat, & lack any interest, in my opinion. But thats not a crtics towards your skill & talent, but from a composition point of view.

08 August 2012

Here my personnal critic

1) It's look too "polygons extracted" to me. Try to get the seam
2) There's a miss of stretchs. In the reference you can see it better.
3) The table is too blasted. Maybe a shader problem, not the light.
4) The overall shader of the sofa miss a strong highlight of specular like your ref.

Last edited by Scote : 08 August 2012 at 07:27 PM.

08 August 2012
Thanks alot guys, this really helps me.
It's good to get feedback on composition and feedback on the technical stuff.
PKD, I know exactly what you mean with making a good composition.
How would you suggest to make it more intresting?
I thinks I know how to fix those technicall notes.

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread