actually done, but badly needs improvements

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
actually done, but badly needs improvements

latest work i've done, i'm kinda new to painting environments but into it lately.

and i'm badly need any kind of critique (including harsh one) to make this look better. also don't mind the guy wearing armor, i know he looks very off in any way. thanks for watching

06 June 2013
i aimed for something dramatic, making the sword as focal point. the ruin purpose was to lead your eyes to the sword, making it looks more dramatic and big. please share any thoughts, a critique would be nice too.

06 June 2013
The composition is fairly well balanced, with a few problems that's easy to fix.

The background structure right behind the sword almost is at the same level as the hilt of the sword, and you want to break them apart so they don't form a single line visually. Make the structure higher or lower, but don't share a line with the hilt. This helps the shapes in your composition read more clearly.

The figure's feet are too close to the bottom border of the image, making it feel like he's standing on the bottom border. Usually, you want to avoid pushing shapes to the very edge of the image like that--leave some breathing room for the shapes in your image.

Like you said, the figure has problems, and I recommend you use references. You can easily shoot your own references with a camera and household lamps (to get the lighting you want). A mirror or tripod will allow you to use yourself as the model, or have family/friends help you. Make sure the camera angle/focal length matches the field of view of your scene.

The tree obscures the silhouette of the figure and it would be better to separate them, so they both read more clearly.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread