Modify PolyCube height base

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Modify PolyCube height base

First of all excuse my English. Im trying to recreate this setup shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzw_X-vxwYU

I already have some nodes connected that can do something similar, my only problem is with the PolyCube height, it grows from the center of the PolyCube, not the base. If i make the conection to the scaleY of the PolyCube, it grows from the base as the example. I was wondering if there is any method to change de height value so the PolyCube grow from the base. I already tried changing the pivot point but it doesn't affect the position from where it grows. I hope this make any sense and any help will be appreciated.

01 January 2013
can u link the growth to translation so then when u grow by x its translates -.5(x) in y? That way it dosent matter if its growing from the center because the cube is always moving down at half the rate its growing so the base always appears to stay in place.

01 January 2013
I'm not in front of my computer right now, but i'm not sure if undertood right. Let me try to work it out when i get home and i will reply how it goes. Thanks for your suggestion.

01 January 2013
So I made a little setup that im sure is a little cumbersome but seems to work somewhat like your example. What I did was use a condition node and a few multiply nodes to to link the translate of z and x of a locator then average them together and link that to the scale of y of the cube. One arm was for positive values, the the was for negative values.

I have 2 files included, the first is just the cube and the locator with the setup, the second is an array of cubes all working together. All I did was duplicate special the setup and snap all the locators to the central one so they all move together.

I dont do much rigging so I'm sure theres a cleaner more efficient way to do this, but you can deconstruct the file and see for yourself.

http://www.mediafire.com/?htpv3g87370x3i0

01 January 2013
I really apprecite for your time to do this. But it seems the link is not working? i click on the link but it only keeps connecting to the website and it doesn't open.

EDIT: It works now, i think it was my internet connection. I will look at the files to study them. Thank you.

01 January 2013
Finally had the chance to open the files. It works very nice, thank you. I have something similar but only using the "distance between" node and connecting back the output to the cube's scaleY, but it doesn't handle the negative scale as yours. I'm learning how to use the Maya nodes on these kind of rigs (actually learning Maya in general), but i'm not used to them so far. I will look more deeply in to the "condition" node since it looks more suitable or at least with more ways to setup something like these rigs.

01 January 2013
Yeah the condition node is basically an if/then statement. I set it up to take the value (translate x or z) if its greater than zero multiply by -1, if less than zero multiply by 1. That way you always have a negative scale value and it will never be scaled taller than it's initial height.

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread