Lattice deform referenced geometry

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Question Lattice deform referenced geometry

Hey guys!
I have a setup in maya, where I reference in some objects then and deform/transform them in various ways inside the new scene.

Some objects are deformed by a lattice deformer – which upon creation duplicates the shape to be deformed, hides it and operates on the duplicate:

Now I updated the mesh that I reference in, and replaced the reference.

But since the deformer operates on a copied shape, the deformed shape does not automatically get updated when replacing the reference.

Do you know a way of setting this up, so that I can freely mess with the referenced mesh and it always updates everything automatically when I replace my reference?

Cheers!

-Sascha
Attached Images
File Type: png Clipboard01.png (56.5 KB, 24 views)

11 November 2012
I made a tutorial video about this topic lately...

Quicktip - "outMesh - inMesh"

If you look down to the comments on the site, youŽll find a link to an other tutorial (by Peter Shipkov), which goes even deeper if you need more information.

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by mattschwarz: I made a tutorial video about this topic lately...

Quicktip - "outMesh - inMesh"

If you look down to the comments on the site, youŽll find a link to an other tutorial (by Peter Shipkov), which goes even deeper if you need more information.

actually I was a little fast with sending you out to the tutorial site... because the lattice defomer actually does use the referenced object to compute the result... it just sets the original referenced shape as an intermediate object (which is the hiding you ment)... and gives you back a new deformed shape. so, in this setup, if its just a lattice deformer, you should be able to update references...
did you alter the position of cvs in your scene (the one with the deformers?), because that could cause problems.

11 November 2012
Smile

Turns out that groupId and groupParts nodes are hidden by default in the node editor, so there was no visible connection between the two shapes and the deformer:

After making unhiding them in "show->auxiliary nodes", the connections become visible:
Attached Images
File Type: png ffd_graph_no_connection.png (43.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: png ffd_graph_with_connection.png (66.2 KB, 17 views)

11 November 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread