Looking for an advice! Building/Upgrading what I have

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
Looking for an advice! Building/Upgrading what I have

Hey there! My brother gave me his old rig that I want to upgrade and being able to work from home! I work as 3D Generalist ( most of my work happens in the office ) and do a lot of Maya + Vray renderings of exteriors/interiors, short animations, some video editing and Nuke compositing. Now I saved up some money that I want to spend all on upgrading my workstation and get it to another level ( always wanted to do so ). I mainly looking for a decresed render times + viewport navigation. Also with V-ray new feature ( Hybrid CPU + GPUrendering optimization ), I think about doubling my GPU card ( buying one more 1080 ti and do slibridge ) as well as getting some upgrade on CPU something likeAMD Threadripper 1950x. What should I go for ? Hard to decide it on my own...

My current specs:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 8 cores
- Geforce GTX 1080 Ti 11264MB
-32.0GB (4x8) Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
-Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G ( + 2 external usb WD Parsports 2TB)
-SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 2
-PSU Chieftec 700w
- Windows 7 pro

Thanks in advance! Hoping to hear from you guys

03 March 2018
It depends. How much are you willing to pay for an upgrade? By the way, it's a bad time to buy a gpu right now. Prices are on fire. You can upgrade your cpu platform to either Intel's X299 or AMD's TR4 now, and wait for the new Nvidia's 2000 series coming later this year (2nd half of 2018 probably) to add a 2nd gpu.

03 March 2018
Ignore SLI, its dead, just put the other card in the system and dont enable SLI

Your cpu is 4 cores, not 8

Otherwise, Im not actually sure what you're really looking to upgrade? The only thing that would really improve your performance would be a new motherboard and higher core cpu. You could look into ryzen/threadripper or for more kick you'll need to start with the i9 10-18 core chips.

reply share thread