C4D - Unreal Bridge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
C4D - Unreal Bridge

I've been taking baby steps with Unreal and Unity...still deciding which one I'll go with.

Cineversity did release a nice bridge a day or two ago between Unreal and UE4. The plugin is called CV-C4D to UE4. The name might be a bit stiff, but I tested it out and the software looks to work super well. One click will transfer or update/sync your c4d scene over in Unreal. I can't emphasize enough how easy it is to use.

-Primitives or meshes will transfer...all in corresponding position.
-I'm not sure if all primitives work...a human figure had to be made editable to transfer
- When I used reflectance materials they didn't transfer, but mats using the color channel did port over
-Bump channel didn't seem to transfer nor did the shaders I tried port over (brick, noise)
-Light position comes over but you have to configure the light value in UnReal
-Remarkably, modifiers like Bend worked without making the object editable
-Cloner objects come over.

When I tried adding a texture into the material color channel...it froze up. That could be because I hadn't created a proper UV...just used the default projection. Or perhaps textures can't be imported, I don't know.

Anyways...this looks extremely useful, especially for those of us just dipping our feet into using Game Engines.

02 February 2018
More testing

-I mentioned in my first post that I crashed when I tried to bring over a material with a texture. It was a 5 MB texture. When I relaunched and started a new Unreal file...I was able to sync afresh and this time the material did transfer in ok.

-I wanted to see what would happen if I re positioned something in Unreal. As far as I can tell the syncing is designed to work in one direction only. That's probably the only sensible approach.

-I believe the plugins work on a per-scene basis. You activate it (or not) perprojects

-One very important consideration: To employ this workflow you are entering into inter-application dependencies. The resources as I can tell are forever linked from the Unreal Publish file back to c4d. Obviously finished games wouldn't have this dependency, but in authoring you'd always need the two programs open together. Perhaps there is a way now (or there will be a way) where you can de-link the dependencies and make the Unreal File stand on its own. I don't know.

After crashing again I ended my initial testing.

For a first release I'm quite encouraged. The plugins (there is one for C4d and one for Unreal) will probably need some more polish.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 02 February 2018 at 06:23 AM.

02 February 2018
Well, I initially went to Unity because transfer from C4D to Unreal was a bit of a pain to be honest, while C4D to Unity was flawless.

Phong tags/shading groups were not recognized, material and uv tag order was quite strict and lead to errors more often than not...

Thanks for the head up. I'll test the plugin and I might go back to unreal if it's working as it should.

Note : both Unity and Unreal are both great, and while unreal has a lead in visual fidelity, unity is catching up quickly (see the upcoming 2018 rendering pipeline demo) and can already be great looking.

In a nutshell, I'd say :
- Unreal is better looking "out of the box" but more complicated to develop with (in my view).
- Unity is easier to get in and has a fabulous marketplace, so if there's a specific feature you're missing, for a few bucks you can get a pro solution working in no time, while you'd have to do it yourself in Unreal (C++ or blueprints).
- The downside is that Unity relies a lot on its marketplace... so it's both a curse and a blessing. In Unreal, the marketplace is much more limited, but you have more features included in the engine. But if they're not included, it's up to you to code it.
- Unreal is better suited to applications where visual fidelity is paramount, Unity is more crossplatform and generalist, and I'd say better for rapid prototyping (which is what I do mostly).

But hey Unity 2018 looks fabulous too, and Unreal probably has another tricks up its sleeves, so it's really down to the kind of projects you're after.

Up to now though, for C4D users, Unity was a clear winner for ease of use. Let's see if this plugin will change it.

Last edited by EricM : 02 February 2018 at 10:07 AM.

02 February 2018
Hey Eric. Yes...I don't think there is a "wrong choice" between the two. I'm just trying to see which one matches my peculiar objectives. I won't be using them as much for game design as for some other goals.

I do value your evaluation!

One thing that appeals to me about Unity is that I can render to Octane. (Not real time in-game rendering of course). I was playing around with that last weekend. Octane is supposed to come to Unreal as well, though who knows when.

Of course Unreal is darn amazing w/it's real-time rendering.

Last edited by IceCaveMan : 02 February 2018 at 07:51 PM.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Cineversity did release a nice bridge a day or two ago between Unreal and UE4. The plugin is called CV-C4D to UE4. The name might be a bit stiff, but I tested it out and the software looks to work super well. One click will transfer or update/sync your c4d scene over in Unreal. I can't emphasize enough how easy it is to use.

Anyways...this looks extremely useful, especially for those of us just dipping our feet into using Game Engines.

Hey @IceCaveMan,

Thanks for the positive feedback on the project! This is a toolset that was developed by a studio using C4D and Unreal that we (Cineversity.com) were able to secure for wider distribution. As it's an internal tool, it's a little rough around the edges and we're limited in our ability to update it. That said, we felt that since it made the impossible possible (seamless transfer from C4D to Unreal) it was better to put it out there than wait for a more polished solution.

If you do encounter any crashes/bugs please report them on the project's BitBucket Issue Tracker. We'll do what we can to get those issues resolved should the developers have an opening in their project schedule for another release.

For now, I'll be trying to document limitations and workarounds in the project's wiki.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by Donovan Keith: Hey @IceCaveMan,

Thanks for the positive feedback on the project! This is a toolset that was developed by a studio using C4D and Unreal that we (Cineversity.com) were able to secure for wider distribution. As it's an internal tool, it's a little rough around the edges and we're limited in our ability to update it. That said, we felt that since it made the impossible possible (seamless transfer from C4D to Unreal) it was better to put it out there than wait for a more polished solution.

If you do encounter any crashes/bugs please report them on the project's BitBucket Issue Tracker. We'll do what we can to get those issues resolved should the developers have an opening in their project schedule for another release.

For now, I'll be trying to document limitations and workarounds in the project's wiki.

Will do, Donovan. Thanks! My focus in coming weeks will be Unity, but I'll likely play a bit more with Unreal and the integration plugin.

02 February 2018
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Will do, Donovan. Thanks! My focus in coming weeks will be Unity, but I'll likely play a bit more with Unreal and the integration plugin.

If you run into issues with the C4D -> Unity workflow, please document them. Cineversity is hoping to streamline the process of getting data between C4D and Unity/Unreal as much as possible in anticipation of a lot of upcoming Augmented Reality (AR) work for Cinema 4D artists.

In the meantime, you may find some of these tutorials/resources helpful:Learn Game-Development - Cineversity Training and Tools for Cinema 4D

02 February 2018
I suppose down the line there is the Datasmith plugin we should be looking forward to. It works really great with 3ds Max already - its still early beta though.

02 February 2018
This is a great plugin. It allows me to very quickly import Cinema4D stuff into the engine and place and play around with it in the VR editor mode. This is a 100 times quicker than exporting the FBX way all the time. It basically takes away the need for a VR mode in Cinema4D.

Amazing.

reply share thread